Use the Join us button to contact others, via our discussion list, who may be researching your interests.
Please consider donating to the web site: use the Donate button.
Kernohan's The Parishes of Kilrea and Tamlaght O'Crilly
This short book was published in 1912 and has been transcribed by Barbara Braswell and Richard Torrens for inclusion here. The book is actually a two-parter: the first part deals with Kilrea and the second with Boveedy.
It gives some fascinating insights into the area as well as many useful lists of people of the area.
It is in Seven parts, with the contents (this page) and the original index from the book as part 8. Each page-break in the book is indicated thus 52 (with the marker indicating the end of the page). The hot-links from the book's index (part 8) will take you to the appropriate page marker.
- Part 1 The Plantation Period.
- Ecclesiastical Property
- Topological Details
- A Chieftain Bold
- Pioneer Planters
- Defensive Operations
- The Early Settlers
- A Prophet in the Wilderness
- The Rebellion of 1641
- The Origin of Kilrea
- Part 2 From the Restoration to the "Ninety-Eight", part 1
- God Save the King
- Exit the Company
- A New Account of the Siege of Jerry
- Waste Lands Filled
- Scotch-Irish Emigration
- Ulstermen and the War of Independence
- Kilrea in the 18th Century
- An Honourable Record of Loyalty
- Incidents in the Rebellion
- Part 3 From the Restoration to the "Ninety-Eight", part 2
- Causes of the Rebellion
- Natural Features
- The Bogs
- The Churches
- Denominational Friendship
- The Old Church Rebuilt
- 1st Kilrea Presbyterian Church
- Rev. Arthur McMahon
- Rev. John Smith
- Rev. Hugh Walker Rodgers
- Rev. James Maxwell Rodgers
- The Meeting House
- Ruling Elders
- "Second Kilrea"
- Part 4 Kilrea in the Nineteenth Century
- Travelling Facilities
- The Historic Pump
- Law and Order
- Were the Companies Trustees?
- The Staple Trade
- An Agricultural Dinner
- The Company's Responsibility
Historical Account of Boveedy Congregation
- Part 1 Pioneering Days
- First Introduction of Presbyterianism
- Matthew Clark, Soldier and Preacher
- His Extensive Parish
- Ministerial Maintenance
- Earlier Meeting-houses
- Emigration to America
- Revs. Robert Wirling and Alexander Cumming
- Part 2 The Parting of the Ways
- Rev. John Smyth
- Boveedy and the Seceders
- Rev. Adam Boyle
- Brief Ministries
- Rev. James Gilmour
- Rev. W. J. Hill, B.A.
- Educational and other Gleanings
- A: Muster Roll (circa 1631) of British men on the Mercer's Estate
- B: Names of the persons who paid Hearth Tax in Kilrea Parish in 1663
- C: Names of those rated for Hearth Tax in Tamlaght O'Crilly Parish in 1663
- D: Protestant householders in Kilrea Parish in 1740
- E: Protestant householders in Tamlaght O'Crilly Parish in 1740
Top of page
First published: 12 Nov, 2001.
© 2001-2023 Richard Torrens.
Page's Author: Richard Torrens
Document URI: genealogy.torrens.org/BannValley/books/Kilrea/index.html
Last modified: 2019