|Burwell||Electronics & DIY||Family History||Dorset holiday||Misc||Natural History||Wild Food||Walks|
|Biographies||Bann Valley families||Torrens families||Hewson family||Old Photos||Youghal||Bibles|
|Books||Bann Church records||Several Families||Miscellaneous Data||Geography|
This information has been complied from several postings to the Bann Valley mailing list.
|Record||Dates||On site dates|
|Marriages||1872 - 1882||none|
Ballylintagh old graveyard is in the wee hamlet of Ballylintagh, on the B207 between Macosquin and Kilrea, i.e. it is near the corner of the present Moneybrannon and Ballylintagh Roads across from Aghadowey Creamery, at Grid Ref 851252 just before the turn off from the B207 up the minor road to Dromore. The church has been pulled down.
Access to Ballylintagh Graveyard is near Ballylintagh housing site. Ballylintagh Presbyterian Church was only in existence from 1812-1883. There are less than two dozen stones here and only known surviving church records are a few marriages which are available at Coleraine Registry Office
The graveyard came to the notice of list members because it contains a near duplicate of a stone in St Guaire's Parish Churchyard No 207.
This stone just to the right of two large stones with railings, one to Andrew Boyd of Ballyclough and one to John Boyd of Collins (but NOT the same John Boyd of Collins which Lavonne has taken from St Guaires).
The stones include the grave of the Brewster family from Dromore. And the records are indeed very sparse. However, Julia Mullin in "The Presbytery of Coleraine" has the following, which helps to explain this:
Ballylintagh Presbyterian Church was built in 1812 when some of the Crossgar Presbyterian congregation quarrelled with their minister and left to form a new church. In 1841, the Ballylintagh congregartion decided to adhere to the United Original Secession Church and in 1843 appointed the Reverend William Mathews, In 1852, the Reverend Mathews and a minority of the congregation joined the Free Church of Scotland against the wishes of the majority but the landowners, the Worshipful Company of Ironmongers, gave the key to the church to the Reverend Mathews. In 1857, the majority built a new Seceder church at Dromore. In 1863, Ballylintagh was received into the General Assembly. Its congregation dwindled and the church became neglected, was sold to the Aghadowey Creamery in 1905, and demolished in 1912 (not sure of this date).
Top of page