Use the Join us button to contact others, via our discussion list, who may be researching your interests.
Please consider donating to the web site: use the Donate button.
Kilrea First Presbyterian Church Records
Notes on some of the names in the registers
- In an early transcription of one record, I was informed of the surname Actice. Not a name I had heard before. Upon seeing a copy the original name, it became clear that this was a misreading of O'Neil.
- Miller or Wilson
- The way Hugh Walker Rodgers writes his M can be extremely similar to the way he writes W. The picture show part of the entry for 22 Feb 1832.
- This is clearly Jas McAughey and Wm McAughey but not how similar the W is to the M.
- This, combined with the general discolouration makes the name Wilson very difficult to distinguish from the name Miller. We think we have it right, but be wary! Both names occur in the area.
- Smyrl or Semple
- The name Smyrl occurs frequently. However at one point I read it as Semple and, reviewing it, I really cannot be certain. There are however plenty of Smryls in the area, whereas Semple is no common.
There are of course plenty of other opportunities for misreading. Of you have any confirmation or clarification, please use the Contact button to email me.
Top of page
Page's Author: Richard Torrens
First published: 22nd February 2002.
Document URI: http://genealogy.torrens.org
Last modified: Tue, 03 Apr 2018 12:04:12 BST
© 2004 - 2018 Richard Torrens