|Burwell||Electronics & DIY||Family History||Hi-Fi History||Misc||Natural History||Wild Food||Walks|
|Biographies||Bann Valley families||Torrens families||Hewson family||Old Photos||Youghal||Bibles|
|Books||Bann Church records||Several Families||Miscellaneous Data||Geography|
The following information is supplied by Denver Boyd.:
Tobermore Presbyterian Church is located at map reference C 831 966, on the main street of the village of Tobermore which is located about 3 miles South West of the town of Maghera. Leaving Tobermore towards Draperstown, the church is located on the left hand side of the street, just before the road rises up the hill on the road to Draperstown.
The current Presbyterian church was built in 1728. The Ordnance Survey memoires of 1836 describe the church as being "...a plain white building with a slated roof and is 69 feet by 25 feet inside ". The memoires also say that at that time, there were 21 rectangular windows and that the aisle was made of earth and the roof not ceiled! Today, it has a nice interior with a small seated gallery. In 1825 the building was nearly fully reroofed and had 2 butresses built at the back of the building to support it. In 1831 the Drapers company (one of the original London companies 'charged' with the settlement of Ulster in 1609) paid £50 to repair all the seats of the church.
The graveyard surrounding the church is the old graveyard. The new Presbyterian graveyard is located at the top of the hill at the South Western end of the village beside Kilcronaghan Church of Ireland.
|Record||Dates||On site dates|
|Baptisms||1860 - 1905||none|
|Marriages||1845 - 1918||extracts|
Top of page