(Thomas4Thomas3 Albert2 Sergeant Hugh1). His name is placed as son of Thomas Torrance on evidence supplied from the letter of Mrs. Lucy E. Torrance, aged seventy-five, of this line, who in 1916, gives his children and their children's issue. To this is added the confirmatory statement of Edward Minor of Woodbury, Connecticut, filed with the pension application of Thomas Torrance, that he believed the latter had a son Lewis. Note 65-2 Lewis Torrance served in the War of 1812, as Lieutenant, August 6, 1813, under Captain Jesse Tobey, Major Sanford's Battalion, New York Militia, and as Captain, September 2, 1814, of the unregimented Battalion of New York, under Major Sanford. His first wife, Betsy ______, died in April, 1818, aged thirty-five years; and his second, Mary ______, died in June, 1861.
Children of Lewis Torrance, order of birth uncertain, seven: 65
Honorable Joseph4 Aaron3 Albert2 Sergeant Hugh1), was born February 14, 1782, at his father's home, "Peace Plantation", situated about three miles southwest of what became New Haven, Pennsylvania, the site of Colonel William Crawford's first settlement in 1758, and that on which Colonel Isaac Meason laid out the town of New Haven in 1796. He died in Cincinnati, Ohio, August 27, 1855, and is buried in Spring Grove Cemetery. After studying law, he moved to Cincinnati, where he was admitted to the Hamilton County Bar. During the War of 1812, he recruited a company of soldiers, was elected Captain, and served throughout the war. He was elected to the State Senate; was Presiding Judge of the66 9th District, 1819-1826, and Hamilton County Treasurer, continuing in this office until be retired in 1840. He was an able jurist respected and beloved by all who knew him.
- i. Mitchell Torrance6 married and had seven children:
- 1. Orrin Torrance7 married ________. Issue, two:
- i. Norman Torrance5 of Keene Valley, New York.
- ii. Herman Torrance8 of North Elba, New York.
- 2. Carlisle Torrance7
- 3. Clark Torrance7
- 4. Eliza Torrance7 married William Bell; went West.
- 5. Jeannette Torrance7 married _______ Yool.
- 6. Harriet Torrance7 married Charles Wasburn.
- 7. Sarah Torrance7 married Wallace Stickney.
- ii. Austin Torrrance8 married Triphena Trumbull. Issue, six:
- 1. Unice Torrance7 married Parker Hewett.
- 2. Sarah Torrance7 married Ephraim Torrance, born 1834; died October 26, 1876, son of Russell Torrance, q.v.
- 3. Mary Torrance7 married Horace Harrison.
- 4. Harriet Torrance7 married Walter Burt.
- 5. Herman Torrance7
- 6. Ira Austin Torrance7 born May 9, 1841; died December 12, 1905; married, November 9, 1862, Lucy E. Smith, born November 5,1842, the letter-writer of 1916. Issue, one;
- 1. Fred Austin Torrance8 born January 11, 1878; married, September 20, 1896, Katherine Bissill, born January 11,1878; resides at Ausable Forks, New York, is one of the compilers of the Torrance Family. Issue, three:
- 1. Robert Austin Torrance9 born August 13, 1909.
- 2. Lucy Isabell Torrance9 born March 3, 1911.
- 3. Ira Saylas Torrance9 born January 9, 1913.
- iii. Merritt Torrance6
- iv. Lewis Torrance6 unmarried.
- v. Betsy Torrance6 married Wheeler Houghton.
- ¶30. vi. Russell Torrance6 married Rhoda Taylor.
- vii. Samuel Torrance6 married; had seven children:
- 1. Freeman Torrance7 of Cincinnati, Ohio.
- 2. Ira H. Torrance7
- 3. David Torrance7 married Emogene Summer. Issue, five:
- i. Frank Torrance8
- ii. Walter Torrance8 died 1935.
- iii. Belle Torrance8 married Otto McFarland.
- iv. Vernon Torrance8
- v. Grace Torrance8 married Ross Nye, of Upper Jay, New York.
- 4. Eliza Torrance7 married Charles Otis.
- 5. Susan Torrance7 married Alfred Otis.
- 6. Lucy Torrance7 married Edward Washhurn.
- 7. Lottie Torrance7 married Wilbur Sanders.
On February 12, 1811, he was married by the Reverend David Denny of Falling Springs Church, Chambersburg, Pennsylvania, to Mary Brownson Findlay, Note 67-1 daughter of Colonel John and Agnes (Brownson) Findlay of Mercersburg.
Children of the Honorable George Paull and Mary Brownson (Findlay) Torrence, eleven:
(Honorable Joseph4Aaron3 Albert2 Sergeant Hugh'), was born in 1784. She married as first wife, James Power, M.D., born in 1799 and died in 1864, son of Colonel John Note 67-1 and67
Children of James and Susannah (Torrence) Power, five:
- i. Nancy Brownson Torrence6 born December 8,1811; died May 21, 1889.
- ¶31. ii. James Findlay Torrence6 married Ann Rebecca Findlay.
- iii. Joseph Torrence6 born January 15, 1817; died unmarried, April 27, 1869; was active in Cincinnati civic affairs.
- iv. John Findlay Torrence6 born May 24, 1819; died January 28, 1883; engaged in tbe real estate business in Cincinnati and was Mayor of that City in 1870.
- ¶32. v. Mary Paull Torrence6 married William Henry Harrison.
- vi. Jane Torrence6 died young.
- vii. Eliza Jane Torrence6 born March 14, 1827; died December 29, 1861; married Robert D. Handy of Ohio.Issue, three:
- 1. Anna Houston Handy7 born October 12, 1853; died young.
- 2. Mary Findlay Handy7 born June 6, 1855, died young.
- 3. William Torrence Handy7 twin1 born in Cincinnati, June 6, 1855; married Mary Welsh. Issue, four:
- i. William Torrence Handy5 born December 5, 1881.
- ii. Nancy Brownon Handy8 born October 24, 1884; married John Boswell Sneed.
- iii. Priscilla Welsh Handy8 born January 4, 1888.
- iv. Harriet Stewart Handy8 born August 9, 1889; married William Taylor Clark. Issue, two:
- 1. Mary Welsh Clark9
- 2. William Taylor Clark, Ir9
- viii. Samuel Torrence6 lived in Cincinnati; died unmarried.
- ix. Aaron Torrence6 born September 29, 1832; died August 12, 1893; lived in Cincinnati.
- x. William Irwin Torrence0 born September 9, 1835; died July 4, 1881.
- xi. Harriet Rebecca Torrence6 twin, born September 9, 1835; died in December, 1901, married Hugh Stewart.
(Honorable Joseph4 Aaron3 Albert2 Sergeant Hugh1), was born October 22, 1795; died November 11, 1862. She married on January 27, 1820, Colonel William Ludlum Miller, born February 6, 1793; died November 17, 1867. For particulars regarding the ancestry and early history of Colonel Miller see Patch-Irwin by Miss Elizabeth Paull, published in 1915.
Children of William Ludlum and Jane (Torrence) Miller, nine:
- i. JOHN POWER6 married Mary Howell. Issue, five:
- 1. Joseph Torrence Power7 married ______ McElhoney.
- 2. Florence Power7 married Samuel Walker Van Kirk; bad three children:
- i. Edward Van Kirk8
- ii. Alice Van Kirk-8
- iii. William Van Kirk8
- 3. Nancy Jack Power7
- 4. James Findlay Power7
- 5. Margaret Power7
- ii. Martha Power6married John Allen. Issue, ten:
- 1. Mary Allen7
- 2. Susannah Allen7
- 3. David Allen7
- 4. Joseph Allen7
- 5. James Allen7
- 6. Anna Allen7
- 7. Clarissa Allen7
- 8. John Allen7
- 9. William Allen7
- 10. Florence Allen7
- iii. Mary Power6 married John Westby. Issue, seven:
- 1. Henry Westby7
- 2. James Westby7
- 3. Eliza Westby7
- 4. Martha Westby7
- 5. Calvin Westby7
- 6. Power Westby7
- 7. Mary Westby7
- iv. James Torrence Power0
- v. Eliza Jane Power6 married Mr. Boyd.
(Honorable Joseph4 Aaron2 Albert2 Sergeant Hugh1), was born at "Peace", his father's plantation, in 1799, and died April 30, 1855. He married, October 19, 1830, Catherine Rogers, born January 12, 1812; died November 23, 1897, daughter of Daniel Rogers and his wife, Mary Meason, a daughter of Col. Isaac Meason and his wife Catherine (Harrison) Meason of Mount Braddock. Joseph and Catherine (Rogers) Torrence were buried in the old stonewalled cemetery of Trinity Church, New Haven, Pennsylvania, but were70 re-interred later in Hill Grove Cemetery, Connellsville. Major Joseph Torrence, as he was known, inherited "Peace Plantation," where he carried on its hospitalities with his other interests. His wife, Catherine, inherited large real estate holdings from her father, Daniel Rogers, and from her grandfather Colonel Isaac Meason, which were efficiently managed by Joseph Torrence, up to the time of his death, caused by a fall from his horse. He lived during the later days of his life in his town house, built by his father-in-law, Daniel Rogers. This house, a picture of which is shown, was built of stone, but in more recent years, in an attempt to modernize, was resurfaced with plaster. In addition to his real estate interests, he was a merchant and banker.
- i. Joseph Torrence Miller6born November 17, 1820; died October 1, 1871.
- ii. Noah Miller5 born January 5, 1823; died May 5, 1845.68
- iii. George Torrence Miller6 born March 26, 1825; died January 26, 1892; married, May 7, 1851, Mary Jane Craig, born September 5, 1828; died May 21, 1920. Issue, eight:
- 1. William Sydney Miller7 born February 20, 1852; died May 18, 1916; a Presbyterian clergyman.
- 2. Mary Harrison Miller7 born July20, 1854; died July 11,1858.
- 3. Mortimer Craig Miller7born September 6, 1856; died November 4, 1933; married, October 13, 1881, Rachel Huey McMasters, born October 16, 1861. Issue, three:
- i. Rachel McMasters Miller8 born June 30, 1882; married Roy Arthur Hunt, born August 31, 1881, who is President of the Aluminum Company of America; resides in Pittsburgh. Issue, four:
- 1. Alfred Mortimer Hunt9 born April 2, 1919.
- 2. Torrence Miller Hunt9 born February 18,1921.
- 3. Roy Arthur Hunt9 born December 31, 1923.
- 4. Richard McMasters Hunt9 born October 16, 1926.
- ii. George Torrence Miller8 born February 16, 1884.
- iii. Magaret McMasters Miller8 born April 14,1887; died January 12, 1888.
- 4. Nancy Torrence Miller7 born October 9, 1857, died 1858.
- 5. John Franklin Miller7 born February 28, 1859; married
Issue by first marriage, one:
- (1), September 22, 1887, Mary Louise Paull, born June 18,1857; died December 10,1935. He married
- (2), April 5, 1937, at the Presbyterian Church, Brandenton, Florida, Mrs. Clara Louise Westinghouse, widow of Henry H. Westinghouse, former president of the Westinghouse Electric & Manufacturing Company, and brother of the late George Westinghouse, founder of the company.
- 1. Rebecca Turner Paull Miller5 born December 10, 1888; married Allen Stewart Davidson, born November 6, 1884. Issue, seven:
- i. Allen Lape Davidson9 born March 1, 1913.
- ii. John Franklin Miller Davidson9 born July 11, 1914.
- iii. George Stewart Davidson9 born November 20, 1915.
- iv. Hugh Paull Davidson9 born January 19, 1919.
- v. William Crandall Davidson9 born June 16, 1922.
- vi. Rebecca Louise Davidson9 born June 25, 1925.
- vii. Isabel Davidson9 born January 15, 1930.
- 6. George Torrence Miller, Jr7 born March 20, 1865.
- 7. Anna Paull Miller7 born August 26, 1869, died May 20, 1870.
- 8. Joseph Torrence Miller7 born August 21, 1871; married
Issue by first marriage, two:
- (1), September 22, 1898, Mary Margaret Stewart, born July 17, 1872; died December 28,1916. He married
- (2), Mary Lizbeth Bucknam, born December 10, 1872.
- i. Jane Craig Miller8 born February 25, 1901; married, June 30, 1923, John Bemis Veach, and had:
- 1. John Bemis Veach, Jr9 born July 21, 1927.
- ii. Nancy Irwin Miller8 born November 17, 1903; married, June, 1926, Lawrence Crofton Hernia, born 1897; died April 15, 1935. Issue, two:69
- 1. Henry Chapin Bemis, III9 born November 30,1930.
- 2. Nancy Jane Bemis9 born March 31, 1938.
- iv. Mary Paull Miller6 born February 12, 1827; died September 14, 1915; married William F. Knox, M.D., born March 30, 1831; died November 12, 1915.
- v. Eliza Jane Miller6 born March 5, 1829; died November 25, 1829.
- vi. Catherine Miller6 born December 12,1830; died March 4, 1874; married, December 12, lass, the Rev. John M. Hastings, born January 27,1816; died September 8, 1892.
- vii. Phoebe Ann Miller6 born September 21, 1838; died February 12, 1904; married, September 11, 1862, Daniel Frisbee Cooper, born October 18, 1834; died March 22, 1916. Issue, four:
- 1. Samuel Frisbee Cooper, Jr7 born April 7, 1865; died January 12, 1931; married Mabel Gray, born April 23, 1869. Issue, five:
- i. Phoebe Miller Cooper8 born November 25, 1896.
- ii. Harriet Gray Cooper8 born December 20, 1897.
- iii. Joshua Torrence Cooper8 born August 15, 1902.
- iv. John Franklin Miller Cooper8 born July 16, 1909.
- v. Rodney Paull Cooper8born February 1Z 1911.
- 2. Jane Torrence Cooper7born September 5, 1866.
- 3. William Miller Cooper7born December 15, 1872, died April 29, 1920, married Helen Martha Gilson. Issue, one:
- 1. William Miller Cooper, Jr8 married Isabell Whitcomb Strange. Issue, two:
- i. Anne Louise Cooper9 born January 31, 1927.
- ii. William Miller Cooper9 born October 3, 1928.
- 4. Mary Katherine Cooper7 born April 20, 1874; died April 20, 1925; married Elmer E. Wible, M.D., born January 8, 1867. Issue, three:
- i. William Paull Wible8 born July 28, 1907.
- ii. Elizabeth Miller Wible8born June 22, 1912.
- iii. Jane Torrence Wible8 born July 12, 1915.
- viii. Albert Gallatin Miller6 born August 6, 1836; died September 17, 1903; married, September 23, 1874, Ann Rebecca Chalfant, born August 8,1833, died October 17, 1896. Issue, two:
- 1. Henry Chalfant Miller7 born May 19, 1875; married, October 22, 1910, Grace Kelly, born July 22, 1882. Issue, two:
- i. Eugenie Chalfant Miller8 born January 5, 1915.
- ii. Henry Chalfant Miller8 born July 18, 1923.
- 2. William Ludlum Miller7born February 26, 1879; died July 10, 1926.
- ix. Clarissa Jane Miller6 born April 29,1839; died September 5, 1843.
At the March Sessions of the Court of Quarter Sessions, 1839, a petition was presented for the incorporation of the Borough of New Haven; among its signers were Joseph Torrence, Daniel Rogers, George Meason and George J. Ashman. Note 71-1
After Mr. Torrence's decease, his widow married on December 2, 1856, Colonel Anthony R. Banning who survived her many years. Children of Joseph and Catherine (Rogers) Torrence, three:
(Captain Samuel4Aaron3 Albert2 Sergeant Hugh1), was born in Fayette County, from which, after marriage, he, in company with a group of young neighbors, emigrated by wagon train through Wheeling, West Virginia and settled near Senecaville, Guernsey County, Ohio. He married Mary McCreary (born 1789, died 1868), daughter of John and Hilda (Green) McCreary. In her childhood, Hilda Green lived on the line of Washington's march between Trenton and Princeton, New Jersey, and witnessed the passing of his army to the battle of Princeton. Children of Joseph and Mary (McCreary) Torrence, eight, order of birth uncertain:71
- ¶33. i. George A. Torrence6 married Maria Matilda McGuire.
- ¶34. ii. Thomas Rogers Torrence6 married Gertrude Olivia McIlvaine.
- iii. Mary Jane Torrence0 married Crittenden Orth. Issue, three:
- 1. Thomas Rogers Orth7
- 2. William Orth7
- 3. Lucretia Orth7
(John4 Aaron3 Albert2 Sergeant Hugh1), born January 21, 1789, probably at Lexington, Kentucky, and died December 3, 1859. He was married, first, January 2, 1812, by the Reverend Robert Armstrong, to Jane Lawrence, born July 2, 1793; died October 6, 1823. He married, second, May 4, 1826, Mary, daughter of George and Barbara Watt and niece of James Watt, 1736-1819, the noted Scotch engineer who, in 1764, invented the steam engine. It was in the home of the latter that Mary Watt was reared. After her death, Mr. Torrence married in February 1858, Mrs. Margaret Espy, a widow, who had twelve children by her prior marriage.
- ¶35. i. The Rev. Joseph William Torrence6 married Eliza J. Bartholomew.
- ii. Elizabeth Torrence6 married David Forman.
- iii. Samuel Finley Torrence6 married Eliza Conner.
- iv. John McCready Torrence, M. D6married; had three sons and one daughter.
- v. Mary Torrence8 married Louis Frederiek.
- vi. Rebecca Torrence6 married Joseph Secrest.
- vii. James Torrence6 lived in Senecaville, Ohio; went by ox-cart to California, thence to Northville, Dakota, where he died in 1882. Married in Ohio, Sarah Jane Clark. Issue, eleven:
- 1. Gordon Torrance7
- 2. Samuel Joseph Torrence7 married Mary Parman; lived in Ashland, Oregon.
- 3. Mary Rebecca Torrence7 married F. C. Ferry; lived in Mansfield, South Dakota.
- 4. Eliza Ella Torrence7 married Stephen Mills; lived in Viroqua, Wisconsin.
- 5. William Wellington Torrence7 born 1872; married Frances Swickhard; lived in Denver, Colorado.
- 6. Benjamin Clark Torrence7 married Jeanett ______; lived at Redlands, California.
- 7. Flora Bell Torrence7 married the Rev. C. K. Thompson; lived at Houghton, New York.
- 8. Evan Thompson Torrence7 married Frances Hamilton.
- 9. Harriet Edna Torrence7 died in Delta, Colorado.
- 10. Sarah Elizabeth Torrence7
- 11. Ira Moody Torrence7 lived at Northfield, South Dakota.
- viii. Jane Torrence6 married William Thomson.
Children of William and Jane (Lawrence) Torrence, five:
(John4 Aaron3Albert2 Sergeant Hugh1), born February 26, 1795, at Lexington, Kentucky; removed with family to Xenia, Ohio, 1804; died there 1829; married Hugh Tate, born September 18, 1788. His parents were Joseph Tate, born in July, 1746, and Elizabeth Kinnear, born February, 1747. His grandfather is believed to have been the Reverend Joseph Tate, installed pastor of the Donegal Presbyterian Church, November, 1748 and remained as such until his death in 1774. Note 74-1
Children of Hugh and Mary (Torrence) Tate, five:
- i. Miranda Jane Torrence6 married Mr. Davidson. Issue, eight:
- 1. Jane Davidson7
- 2. David Davidson7
- 3. Martha Davidson7 married Mr. Misner and had ten children:
- i. James Misner8 married and had
- Clyde Misner9
- Wilbur Misner9
- ii. Luke Misner8
- iii. Miranda Misner8
- iv. Emma Misner8
- v. Josephine Misner8
- vi. Abigail Misner8
- vii. William Misner8
- viii. Stella Misner8
- ix. Letty Misner8
- x. Nelly Misner8
- 4. Joseph N. Davidson7
- 5. William Torrence Davidson7
- 6. John Al. Davidson7married and had five72 children:
- i. Minnie Davidson8
- ii. Harry Davidson8
- iii. Lilly Davidson8
- iv. Clyde Davidson8
- v. Nelly Davidson8
- 7. George Davidson7
- 8. Vida Davidson7
- ii. Soloman Lawrence Torrence6
- iii. Eliza Ann Torrence6 married in 1841, James Currie. Issue, three:
- 1. Mary Jane Currie7 born February, 1842; died July, 1873; married in 1860, George B. Robinson. Issue, six:
- i. Lida Robinson8 married Elmer Arbogast. Issue, two:
- 1. George Ellwood Arbogast9
- 2. Charles Aren Arbogast9
- ii. William Elmer Robinson8
- iii. James Albert Robinson8 born November 2, 1865; married; issue, two:
- 1. George Albert Robinson9
- 2. Jennie Prudence Robinson9
- iv. Margaret Bell Robinson8 born September 22, 1868; married William S. Lord.
- v. Frank Lee Robinson8
- vi. Jennie May Robinson8 born March 1, 1871; married Richard M. Purcell, of Kansas City, Mo.
- 2. Hanna Andrew Curne7born 1845; died May 28, 1901; married, May 8, 1883, D. Russell Brewer. Issue, two:
- i. Fred Warren Brewer8 married; issue, two:
- 1. Warren Brewer9
- 2. Wilbur Brewer9
- ii. Robert Russell Brewer8
- 3. William Torrence Currie7 born January. 6, 1846; died January 5, 1921; married, October 17, 1876, Clara Johnson of Yellow Springs, Ohio,. born December 12, 1851. Issue, four:
- i. Retta May Currie8 born August 4, 1877; married Aaron Carr Ullery.
- ii. Charles Johnson Currie8 born October 27,1879; married first, Edna Story, born February 1, 1883; died November 27, 1923; married second, Elois Rossman. Issue, three by first, one by second marriage:
- 1. Charles Story Currie9 born February 18, 1904.
- 2. Ray Story Currie9 born January 31, 1906.
- 3. Paul Story Currie9 born February 2, 1919.
- 4. Nancy' Joy Currie9 born July 10, 1928.
- iii. Bertha Currie8born October 27, 1881.
- iv. J. Elmer Currie8 born May 31, 1883; married, February 17,1915, Anna Orr, born August18, 1882. Issue, two:
- 1. James Orr Currie9 born April 23, 1917.
- 2. George Donald Currie9 born November 19,1918.
- ¶36. iv. John McNutt Torrence, M.D6; married Mary Curry.
- v. David Beveridge Torrence6 born March 14, 1822; died December 28, 1894. His first wife, name unascertained, died within a year, leaving no issue. He married, second, November 9, 1852, Nancy McMillan. Issue, five:
Children of William and Mary (Watt) Torrence, six:
- 1. Jennie Torrence7 died aged 25 years.
- 2. Norah Torrence7
- 3. Charles Elder Torrence7
- 4. William Riley Torrence,7 married twice.
- 5. Lida Miranda Torrence7 married first, name unascertained; married second, D. Russell Brewer; left issue.
- ¶37. vi. Susannah Torrence8 married William E. McClellan.
- ¶38. vii. The Rev. George Watt Torrence6 married
- (1) Lizzie Crane,
- (2) Martha Harrah.73
- viii. The Rev. William Jolly Torrence6 born July 4, 1830; died unmarried, December 5, 1853. A Presbyterian clergyman.
- ¶39. ix. The Rev. James Templeton Torrence6married Sarah Isabell Leslie.
- x. Mary Elizabeth Torrence6 born March 19, 1815; died November, 1836.
- xi. Martha Torrence6 born May 16, 1840; died October 17, 1840.
(John4 Aaron3 Albert2 Sergeant Hugh1), sixth child of John and Jane (McConnell) Jolly Torrence, was born in Lexington, Ky., July 8, 1797, and died in June, 1870. He married Mary Winter, born February, 1818; died in September, 1869.
Children of Aaron and Mary (Winter) Torrence, six:
- i. Margaret Kinnear Tate6born February 16, 1818; died August 20, 1882; married, February 10, 1840, Nathan Pusser Fisk, who died November 15, 1863. Issue, six:
- 1. Franklin Augustus Fisk7 born August 11, 1844; married Cornelia E. B. Sebring and had three children:
- i. Sebrino Fist8born June 14, 1870, resided in Omaha, Nebraska.
- ii. Edith Clarkson Fisk8 lived in New York City.
- iii. Laura Bell Fisk5 lived in New York.
- 2. Laura Bell Fisk7 married Frank L. Green, born February 23, 1844.
- 3. Samuel Tate Fisk7 born November 23, 1848; married Lillian M. Higbie, born January 1, 1855. Issue, three:
- i. Virginia May Fisk8 born March 27, 1877.
- ii. Samuel tate Fisk8 born July 7, 1878.
- iii. Ethel Zoie Fisk8 born March 23, 1880.
- 4. Mary Virginia Fisk7 born May 27, 1850.
- 5. John Albert Fisk7 born November 10, 1851; married Clara Hawthorn, born Toledo, Ohio, July 16, 1851. Issue, three:
- i. Albert Elmer Fisk8 born August 16, 1878.
- ii. Alfa Hawthorn Fisk8 born February 24, 1880.
- iii. George Meredith Fisk5 born April 4,1884.
- 6. Annie Elvera Fisk7
- ¶40. ii. John Torrence Tate6married Nancy Ann Miller.
- iii. Joseph Pattison Tate6 born October, 1822; died June, 1878; married in 1854, Mrs. Eliza Jane Price, born January, 1827; died March 13, 1913. Issue, three:
- 1. John Torrence Tate7 born April 15, 1855.
- 2. Laura Tate7 (twin), born April 15,1855.
- 3. Mary Elizabeth Tate7 born in 1859; died in 1861.
- iv. Jane Currie Tate6 married Mr. Jordan. Issue, five:
- 1. Frank Jordan7
- 2. Etta W. Jordan7
- 3. Mary Jordan7
- 4. Elmer Jordan7
- 5. Jennie E. Jordan7
- v. Hugh Kinnear Tate674
(John,' Aaron8 Albert2 Sergeant Hugh1), was born, probably in Lexington, Ky., November 29, 1799; married,
- i. William Winter Torrence6 born October 21,1844; died October 12,1881; married in 1875, Martha Jane Graham, born December 11, 1841; died August 4, 1891. Issue, one:
- 1. May Helen Torrence7 born February 26, 1877 married first, Calvin Hoyt Cox, who died in January, 1917. Issue, two:
- i. Helen Wilma Cox8 born August20, 1904; married in 1927, Frank Gibson. Issue, one:
- 1. Curtis Alden Gibson9 born in 1929.
- ii. Lamar Torrence Cox8 born in 1907; married in 1929, Georgianna Ashby. Issue:
- 1. Don Lamar Cox9 born in 1932. After the death of Calvin Hoyt Cox, Mary Helen Torrence Cox married Curtis Wilbur Tershoe, No Issue.
- ii. John Banks Torrence6 born February 17,1847, died 1852.
- iii. Elizabeth Jane Torrence6 born April 12, 1849, died 1867,
- iv. Irvine S. Torrence6 born February 7, 1852, died February 19,1852.
- v. Samuel Wilson Torrence6 born March 4, 1854, died 1866.
- vi. Anna Mary Torrence6 born November 7, 1800, married, August 10, 1892, John Henry Garlough, born June 8, 1855, died August 24, 1929. Mrs. Anna (Torrence) Garlough lives at 118 Center College St., Yellow Springs, Ohio, and is considered the historian for this branch of the family. Through her collection of old letters, documents, and records, it has been possible to secure the data for this branch, as well as to secure valuable information concerning the Connecticut branches. It has been a pleasure to correspond with her, during several years. Issue, three:
- 1. John P. Carlough7 born May, 1894, married in 1922, Mary Kirkpatrick. Issue, two:
- i. Mary Janet Garlough8 born October 16, 1026.
- ii. Patricia Anne Garlough8 born December 12, 1828.
- 2. Wills Finley Garlough7 born September 4, 1901; married in 1933, Elizabeth Zugfelter, born 1908.
- 3. William Torrence Garlough7 born December 26, 1897; married Alta May Young, born in 1904.
Children of Archibald and Anne (Torrence) Jackson, four:
- first, January 19, 1823; Archibald Jackson, born August 8, 1791; died January 21, 1833.
- After his decease, Anne (Torrence) Jackson married Mr. Winter, from which marriage there were no children.
Aaron3 Albert2 Sergeant Hugh1), born in Lexington, Kentucky, July 19, 18O4; died at Xenia, Ohio, December 1, 1851. He married
- ¶41. i. Jane Jackson6 married Daniel McMillan.
- ii. Susannah Wylie Jackson6 born September 4, 1825.75
- iii. William Cunningham Jackson6 born December 21, 1827; married, September 4, 1860, Matilda Grace Magoffin, daughter of James Magoffin, M.D. Issue, two:
- 1. Grace Anna Jackson7 born December, 1861.
- 2. Jennie Magoffin Jackson7 born February, 1864; both residents of Mercer, Pennsylvania.
- iv. Martha Eliza Jackson6 born February 13, 1831; died September 18, 1907; married Daniel A. Dean, born March 18, 1819; died May 15, 1879. Issue, three:
- 1. William Jackson Dean7 born March 10, 1857; died January 11, 1920; married Ella tong, and had one child:
- i. Archie Leigh Dean8 who died March 5, 1928.
- 2. Nettie Dean7 born November 2, 1859; married Charles Akerley.
- 3. Archie Leigh Dean7 born February 25, 1863; married Emma Louisa Manson, born November29, 1867; reside in New York, N.Y. Issue, two:
- i. Archie Leigh Dean8 born August 21,1891; married Ella Celia Lang. Issue, three:
- 1. Archie Leigh Dean, 1119 born August 30,1923.
- 2. Hugh Gardiner Dean9 born May 25, 1925.
- 3. Nancy Dean9 born July 19, 1930.
- ii. Gerald Jackson Dean8 born June 16, 1894; married Helen Furlong.
Child of David and Sarah (Finney) Torrence:
- first, Sarah Finney, who died December 6, 1837, by whom there was one child
- He married, second, in 1839, Ann Ingram Stewart of Xenia.
(Lewis5 Thomas4, Thomas3, Albert2, Sergeant Hugh1), born in Bennington County, Vermont, July 10, 1810; married, July 21, 1831, Rhoda Taylor, born July 26, 1813.
Children of Russell and Rhoda (Taylor) Torrance, seven:
- i. Aaron Walker Torrence6 married Jane Kennedy. Issue, three:
Children of David and Ann Ingram (Stewart) Torrence, all probably born in Xenia, seven:
- 1. Ada Torrence7 married Ira Gordon.
- 2. Emma Torrence7 twin of Ada, married her sister's widower, Ira Gordon.
- 3. Abbie Torrence7
- ii. Susannah Torrence6
- iii. John Elder Torrence6 born October 3,1840; died June 6, 1860.
- iv. Captain David Findley Torrence0 born July 31, 1842; died June 24, 1910; married, January 29, 1874, Mary Susan Ridgely, born January 6, 1846; died in 1920; daughter of Richard Ridgely and Louise (Snyder) Ridgely, of Clear Spring, Maryland. David Findley Torrence served as Captain in the Civil War. Issue, three:
- 1. Frederick Ridgely Torrence7 born November 27, 1874; educated at Miami University, Oxford, Ohio, and later at Princeton University, where he was a member of the Triangle Club, and was on the editorial staff of the Tiger and the Nassau Lit. He was librarian of the Astor Library in New York from 1897 to 1901, and served in same capacity in the Lenox Library, 1901 to 1903. In76 editorial work, he served on the Critic from 1903 to 1904, on the Cosmopolitan from 1905 to 1907, and on the New Republic from 1920 to 1933. His success as a lyric poet secured for him a membership in the National Institute of Arts and Letters. He is the author of "The House of a Hundred Lights," 1900; "El Dorado," a tragedy, in 1903; "Abelard and Heloise," in 1907; "Hesperides", in 1925; negro plays: "Granny Maumee," in 1914; the "Rider of Dreams;" "Simon the Cyrenian", and many others. On February 3, 1914, he married Olivia Howard Dunbar, born at West Bridgewater, Massachusetts, daughter of Nathaniel William and Olive (Howard) Dunbar; B.L., Smith College, in 1894; on the staff of the New York World, 1895 to 1902, and a writer for magazines. Living in Greenwich Village, New York. No issue.
- 2. Pauline Mary Torrence7 born May 9, 1878.
- 3. Findley McDowell Torrence7 born August 31, 1887; married Patricia Broadstone, of Xenia. In April, 1933, he wrote: "We know definitely that our family came from, Pennsylvania. I have the mantel in our living room which was brought over the mountains to Ohio in a wagon, when the family came into the then Ohio Wilderness, to take up a Revolutionary Soldier's land grant." Issue, three:
- i. Jean Broadstone Torrence8 born January 18, 1916.
- ii. Findley McDowell Torrence, Jn8 born March 26, 1921.
- iii. Katherine Ridgely Torrence8 born March 29, 1929.
- v. Samuel Wilson Torrence6 born August 8, 1844.
- vi. Jane Eliza Torrence6 born March 4, 1847.
- vii, Sarah Ella Torrence0 born January 22, 1849.
- viii. Anna Mary Torrence6 born September 3, 1851; died October 10, 1854.
(Honorable George Paull5 Honorable Joseph4 Aaron3 Albert2 Sergeant Hugh1), was born in Cincinnati, August 22, 1814; died September 28, 1887. He married Ann Rebecca Findlay, born January 26, 1817; died February 11, 1895, daughter of Thomas Findlay, born December 15, 1780; died September 17, 1852, and his wife Anna Perry (Bell) Findlay.
Children of James Findlay and Ann Rebecca (Findlay) Torrence, eight:
- i. William Torrance7 born October 81,1832; died August 10, 1006; married at Jay, New York, January 21, 1858, Mary Houghton. Issue, seven:
- 1. Nellie Torrance8 died young.
- 2. Lydia B. Torrance9 born July 28, 1860.
- 3. Luella E. Torrence9 born January 8, 1863; married, May 12, 1906, Martin Howard; no issue.
- 4. Maria B. Torrance8 born January 13, 1855; died October, 1936; married, November 2, 1893, George H. Wrighley.
2009.09.16. Pietro Decaro informs me that this name is Rev. George H. Wrigley. Married May Elizabeth Torrance, November 2, 1892. Rev. Wrigley was born November 1861 in Pennsylvania and passed away in February 1934 in Erie, Pa. (Census records and Obituary)
- i. Magella Ella Wrighley9 born August 23, 1893; married, April 8, 1917, Allison J. Olin.
2009.09.16. Pietro Decaro, a grandson of the above, has family letters and the correct name is Mozelle or Mozella. He also states that her birth certificate gives her correct birth date as above, not 1984 as in the original. She died February 11, 1967.
- 5. William A. Torrance8 of Jamestown, N. Y., born September 16, 1868; married, July 2, 1901, Jennie Clark. Issue, two:
- i. Calvin Clark Torrance9 of Albany, New York, born April 11, 1902; married, July 2, 1925, Mary E. Warren.
- ii. Rhoda T. Torrance9 born September, 1903; married Glenn M. Denison.
- 6. Martin F. Tonanee8 born July 4, 1871; died March 24, 1919; married, October 6, 1902, Grace Blanchard. Issue, four:
- i. Grace77 M. TorrancE9 born July 25, 1003.
- ii. Gertrude E. Torrance9 born July 10, 1904.
- iii. Nellie E Torrance, born April 6, 1906; married Edward Smith.
- iv. Cora E. Torrance9 born March 15, 1908.
- 7. John Torrance8 born December 23, 1873; married, January 8, 1896, Bertha Wainright. Issue, three:
- i. Ray W. Torrance0 born August 2, 1898; married Mary Lincoln.
- ii. Irving W. Torrance9 born January 10, 1900; married Florence Mercury.
- iii. Mary I. Torrance9 born April 21, 1901.
- ¶42. ii. Ephraim Torrance7 married Sarah Torrance.
- iii. Isaac Torrance7 born June 30, 1837; married Mary, surname unknown.
- iv. Elizabeth M. Torrance, born December 5, 1839; died November26, 1876; married John Doby.
- v. Adoniram Torrance7 born April 11, 1842; killed in the Civil War, May 10, 1864.
- vi. Jane Anne Torrance7 born December 18, 1845; married Nide Straight.
- vii. Eleanor Torrance7 born June 9, 1848; died April 15, 1868.
(Honorable George5 Honorable Joseph4 Aaron3 Albert2 Sergeant Hugh1), was born June 22, 1821; died May 24, 1864; married William Henry Harrison.
Children of William Henry and Mary Paull (Torrence) Harrison, four:
- i. Thomas Torrence7 died young.
- ii. Mary Torrence7 died young.
- ¶43. iii. Jane Findlay Torrence7 married Christopher Smith Sargent.
- iv. Rebecca Paull Torrence7 died young.
- v. The Reverend George Paull Torrence7 born in Cincinnati, June 25, 1854; died November 21, 1918, for many years beloved rector of the Episcopal church in Marion, Ohio; married, September 3, 1879, Mary Ferguson. Issue, five:
- 1. Ann Rebecca Torrence8 married the Reverend W. H. Standring; both missionaries in China.
- 2. Jeanette Ferguson Torrence8 born March 4, 1882; married Archibald Price, of Marion, Ohio. Issue, four
- i. Archibald D. Price9
- ii. Mary Ann Price9
- iii. Emily Ruth Para9
- iv. Elizabeth J. Price9
- 3. George Paull Torrence8 born at Bethel, Connecticut, February 24, 1887; married Florence Abbott, born at East Chicago, Illinois, October 12, 1889, daughter of Frank Parker Abbott, born at Cambridge, Massachusetts, January 22, 1855; died at Goshen, Indiana, August 31, 1912, and his wife Jeannette Haseall, born at Gosben, August 29, 1852; died at Indianapolis, July 17, 1926. Issue, three:
- i. George Paull Torrence9 born May 10, 1913.
- ii. Dorothy78 Torrence9 born April 20, 1916.
- iii. Haskell Torrence0 born January 19, 1921.
- 4. Mary Ferguson Torrence8 born February 25, 1893; married Walter Corey, M.D.
- 5. John Ferguson Torrence, M.D8 born May 2, 1896; married Mae Wilson.
- vi. Elizabeth Findlay Torrence7 was born in Cincinnati, March 26, 1856; unmarried, lives in Cincinnati and is beloved by all for her kindly spirit, personal charm, and charitable deeds. In 1938, she is the oldest living member of this family, and has cheerfully contributed from her large fund of information, much of the data respecting this branch of the family.
- vii. James Findlay Torrence7 born January 8, 1858; died February 7, 1805; married, June 5, 1883, Jessie L. Peckover. Issue:
- 1. James Findlay Torrence5 born May 4,1884; married
- (1) Pauline McBain;
- (2) Bertha Brown, resides in Pasadena, California.
Child of first wife:
- i. Elizabeth Findlay Torrence9
Child of second wife:
- ii. Joseph Edward Torrence9 born March24, 1894; served as Captain in World War. Lives in Florida.
- viii. Joseph Torrence7 born January 26,1801; died March 1, 1882.
- i. George Torrence Harrison7 born October22, 1847; died August 14,1892; married Sallie Perin, born October 17,1857; died April 8, 1930. issue, two, born in Cincinnati:
- 1. Mary Perin Harrison8 born March 26, 1877; married, November 14, 1901, Dudley Van Ness Sutphin, born October 25,1875; died May 18, 1926. Issue, two:
- i. Elizabeth Harrison Suthin9 born January 9, 1905; married, November 4, 1933, Hulbert Taft, Jr., of Cincinnati, born August 27, 1907. Issue, one:
- 1. Mary Perin Taft10 born January 17, 1935.
- ii. Dudley Van Ness Sutphin9 born May 11, 1911; died young.
- 2. Willam Henry Harrison5 born August 10, 1880; married
Issue by first marriage:
- (1) Adele Hagar;
- (2) Alice Nicholson.
- i. William Henry Harrison, III9 born March 20, 1917.
- ii. Martha Pitts Harrison7 born February 11,1850; died January 27, 1930; married, October 13, 1872, Clark B. Montgomery, born July 18, 1844; died June 5, 1920. Issue, one:
- 1. Mary Harrison Montgomery8 to whom the compiler is indebted for information, born in 1878; married
- (1), May 31, 1899, Clark Davis, M.D., born December 14, 1868; died in 1918; married
- (2) William Craig Roberts, born May 2,7,, 1872. Issue, one:
- i. Clark Montgomery Davis9 born August 5, 1905.
- iii. Nancy Torrence Harrison7 unmarried.
- iv. Mary Torrence Harrison7 born January 2, 1861; died September 9, 1923.
Torrence and Allied Families Written by Robert McIlvane Torrence, published 1938
Document URI: http://genealogy.torrens.org/Torrens/books/RMT/rmt06.html
Last modified: Fri, 16 Nov 2018 13:21:14 GMT
© 2000 - 2019 Richard Torrens.