Use the Join us button to contact others, via our discussion list, who may be researching your interests.
Please consider donating to the web site: use the Donate button.
(Major Hugh,3 Hugh,2 Sergeant Hugh 1), born July 20, 1780, died March 17, 1861. He married, on July 4, 1809, Jane McKeever, a sister of his brother-in-law, Matthew McKeever. Jane McKeever was born October 11, 1783, and died July 16, 1845.
Children of Samuel and Jane (McKeever) Torrance were nine:
(Major Hugh3 Hugh2 Sergeant Hugh1), born October 27, 1782, died January 11, 1868. He married twice. His first wife was Mary Gray, who was born in Ireland, November 15, 1783, and died September 25, 1822. They were married on September 20, 1803. His second wife was Margery Torrance, his cousin, who was born April 3, 1791, and died March 24, 1873. She was a daughter of James and Margaret (Stewart) Torrance.
- i. Mary Torrance5 born May 10,1810, died July 20, 1856.
- ii. Isabella Torrance5 born October 11, 1811, died March 14, 1856.
- iii. Hitchman Torrance5 born September 26, 1813, died January 14, 1879. He married, November 15,1849, Martha Jane Laughlin, born February 107
28,1824, died October 8, 1906. Issue, five:
- 1. James Laughlin Torrance6 born August 23, 1850, died April 18, 1854.
- 2. Mary Ellen Torrance6 born August 29, 1852, died April 1, 1854.
- 3. Samuel Henderson Torrance6 born July 5, 1854, died January 10, 1855.
- 4. Emma Jane Torrance6 born June 20, 1857; married twice. Married first, Joseph McKeever, who died June 9, 1895; married second, William Kyle Henderson, who died October 21, 1903.
- 5. William Scott Torrance6 born January 2, 1881, married, December, 1899; name of wife not known to compiler. Issue, one:
- i. Helen Torrance7 born 1901.
- iv. Sarah Torrance5 born October 16,1815, died September23, 1895; married, May 5, 1842, Stephen D. Burns. Their sons, whose names are not recorded, were all killed in the Civil War.
- ¶56. v. Samuel Torrance, Jr5 married twice. Married first, Matilda Smith; Married second, Eunice Callendar.
- vi. Eleanor Torrance5 born September 10, 1820, died August 6, 1889; married, March 10, 1884, Joseph Guthrie, of Reynoldsville, Pennsylvania.
- vii. William Torrance5 born November 6, 1822, died August 28, 1803; married, in 1860, Mary Snyder
- viii. Jane Elizabeth Torrance5 born August 20, 1824, died January 23, 1910; warned John Brisbin. Issue, four:
- 1. J. M. Brisbin6
- 2. Thomas Brisbin6
- 3. (Daughter) Brisbin6 married M. J. Scott.
- 4. Elizabeth Brisbin6
- ix. Matthew McKeever Torrance5 born June 16, 1827, died in 1861.
Children of Hugh and Mary (Gray) Torrance were ten:
(Major Hugh3 Hugh2 Sergeant Hugh1), born March 2, 1799, at Manordale, part of a large estate granted to William Penn, in Franklin Township, near the present town of Export, Pennsylvania, now the home of James Fenton Torrance, a great-great-grandson of Hugh and Mary (Fenton) Torrance. He served as Regimental Post Commander of the 115th Ohio Volunteers, on the staff of General Thomas; was an engineer and an instructor following the Civil War. He lived in Wellsville, Columbiana County, Ohio, where he was 109 connected with the "Wellsville Union", a newspaper. On July 15, 1821, he married Margaret Riddle McCabe, who was born December, 1802, and died August 28, 1880, a daughter of James McCabe, of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania.
- ¶57. i. Mary (or Polly) Torrance5 married William Calhoun.
- ii. Sarah Torrance5 born August 12, 1806, died December 24, 1881; married, March 18,1859, Mr. McConnell, who died June 4,1874. Sarah (Torrance) McConnell died at the home of her sister, Hannah Greer, and is buried at Delmont, Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, where many other members of her family lie.
- ¶58. iii. Fenton Torrance5 married Elizabeth Larrimer.
- iv. Hugh Torrance5 born August 20, 1810, died September 27, 1885. His wife was Mary, born March 19, 1825; was living in 1917, aged 92. Issue, five:
- 1. Mattie Torrance6 married Thomas Clark, son of Joseph and Mary (Parks) Clark.
- 2. Eliza Jane Torrance6 died 1893, married108 Newton Calhoun.
- 3. Anna Torrance6 married her sister's widower, Newton Calhoun.
- 4. Mary Torrance6 unmarried.
- 5. John Torrance6 died an infant.
- ¶59. v. James Torrence5 married twice. Married first, Mary Caldwell; married second, Mrs. Nancy Jane Kier McEllhose. James Torrence changed the spelling of his name.
- vi. John Torrance5 born November 30, 1814, died young.
- vii. Eliza Jane Torrance5 born December 12, 1816, died April 5, 1853; married a Mr. Callan.
- viii. Hannah Gray Torrance5 born August 12, 1818, died at Greensburg, Pennsylvania, February 1, 1901. It was at her home that the old family Bible was last seen. She married twice. Married first, September 15, 1872, William Meaner, who died December 22, at Murraysville, Pennsylvania. Her second marriage was May 20, 1876, to George Greer, who died August 16, 1891, at Greensburg, Pennsylvania, and is buried in Delmont Cemetery.
- ix. Samuel Torrance5 born December 1, 1819; was killed in the Civil War, a Major of Cavalry. His wife was Katherine (Kline) Torrance, born in 1821, died 1907. Issue, six:
- 1. Fenton Torrance6 born in 1843, died 1893; married Belle Haverstock. Issue, three:
- i. Lilly Torrance.
- ii. Guy Torrance.
- iii. Clyde Torrance.
- 2. Guy Torrance6 died young.
- 3. Margaret Torrance6 married M. L. Johnston. Lived in Kansas.
- 4. Martha Torrance6 married Robert Thompson, lived in Iowa.
- 5. William Torrance6 lived in Canton, Illinois.
- 6. Sarah Torrance6 married John Fry.
- x. Colonel William Gray Torrance5 born September 1, 1824, in Pennsylvania; lived in Keokuk, Iowa, where he took an active part in the educational institutions of that place. He served as First Lieutenant of Company G, in the Mexican War; was Colonel of the 30th Iowa Volunteer Infantry in the Civil War. He was killed in the Battle of Cherokee Station, in Alabama, October 21, 1883. The citizens of Keokuk, Iowa, erected a fine monument in his honor. On April 13, 1448, he married Ellen G. Martin, of Kentucky. Of their issue, the names of three are given:
- 1. Mary Elizabeth Torrance6
- 2. James Fayland Torrance6
- 3. Flora Jane Torrance6
Children of William Gray and Margaret Riddle (McCabe) Torrance were ten:
(Major Hugh3 Hugh2 Sergeant Hugh1), born April 1, 1802; died June 5, 1879. He married, January 28, 1840, Elizabeth Larrimer, born March 4, 1814, died March 5, 1886. She was a daughter of David and Mary McElwaine Larrimer, of Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania.
- i. Hugh Milo Torrance5 born June 12, 1822, died January 11, 1895. He married, but the name of his wife is not known to the compiler. Issue, two:
- 1. Anna Margaret Torrance6
- 2. Olive Amanda Torrance.
- ii. William Cyrus Torrance5 born July 4, 1824, died February 17, 1857; enlisted in the Third Ohio Regiment at Massilon, Ohio, and served during the Mexican War. On his return from the war, moved to Texas, where he married, and died.
- iii. Mary Torrance5 married Michael Bowers; lived at Wellsville, Ohio, and left issue.
- iv. Elizabeth Torrance5 married Alexander Bunting.
- v. Amanda Torrance5 died in July, 1907, at Wellsville; unmarried.
- ¶60. vi. The Reverend Oliver Perry Torrance5 married Elizabeth Edwards.
- vii. James Madison Torrance5 born February 15, 1837, near Export, Pennsylvania; lived at Wellsville, Ohio; married Mary Peden. Issue, four:
- 1. Emma Blanche Torrrance6 married Charles Hadly.
- 2. James Crozier Torrance6 married, and left issue one:
- i. Elizabeth Torrance7 born in 1903.
- 3. Mary Torrance6 died an infant.
- 4. Richard Torrance6
- viii. Joseph Torrance5 married Lydia Myers, lived in Wellsvile, Ohio. Issue, one:
- 1. Edward Torrance6 married and left issue, three:
- i. Emmett Torrance7
- ii. EvereTT Torrance7
- ii. Edward Torrance7
- ix. Alexander Torrance5 died young.
- x. Sylvanius Torrance5 died young.
Children of Albert and Elizabeth (Larrimer) Torrance were six:
(Major Hugh3 Hugh2 Sergeant Hugh1), born August 2, 1807, in Beardstown, Indiana County, Pennsylvania, and died April 26, 1876. He married Sarah Peoples, who died May 13, 1888, a sister of Mary J. Peoples, wife of Joseph's brother James.
- i. Mary McElwaine Torrance5 born November 30, 1841.
- ¶ 61. ii. Sarah Jane Torrance5; married James Crawford.
- iii. Elizabeth Larrimer Torrance5 born October 27, 1844, died April 25, 1869.
- iv. Maria Craig Torrance5 born May 15, 1846.
- v. (SON) Torrance5 born November 14, 1847.
- vi. Emma Clark Torrance5 born and died March 31, 1849. 110
Children of Joseph and Sarah (Peoples) Torrance were seven:
- i. Amanda Jane Torrance5
- ii. Major Hugh Albert Torrance5 born June 15, 1832. He served during the Civil War, with the Eleventh Pennsylvania Reserves, and was wounded in the battle of South Mountain, on September 14, 1862. He married, in 1861, Harriett Boyd, sister of the Reverend J. C. Boyd, Moderator of the United Presbyterian Church. Issue, five:
- 1. Mary Louise Torrance6
- 2. Mattie Wallace Torrance6
- 3. Anna Hughes Torrance6
- 4. Robert Boyd Torrance6
- 5. Adam Fenton Torrance6
- iii. Mary Louise Park Torrance5
- iv. Adam Fenton Torrance5
- v. William Falcone Torrance5
- vi. Jeremiah Reed Torrance5 born February 18, 1847, died April 28, 1921, aged 74. He was a member of the G. A. R. No. 10343. He married, October 28, 1873, Mary Augusta McBeth. Issue, two;
- 1. Charles Edward Torrance6 born January 15, 1875, married Lelia Edna Kirk. Issue, one:
- i. Hugh Kirk Torrance7 born September 29, 1916.
- 2. Mary Reed Torrance8
- vii. John Boreland Torrance5 married Rebecca McFarland. Issue, two:
- 1. Joseph Reed Torrance6
- 2. Mary Reed Torranee6
A number of the preceding persons have changed the spelling of their names to Torrence.
(Alexander4 Adam3 Hugh2 Sergeant Hugh1), born in 1817, died July 12, 1869. He is buried in Center Church Graveyard, Iredell County, North Carolina. He married Elizabeth Johnson Douglass, who was born in 1797, died July 2, 1844.
Children of the Reverend David Lawson and Elizabeth Johnson (Douglass) Torrence were six:
(Alexander4 Adam3 Hugh2 Sergeant Hugh1), married three times. He married first, Martha, surname unknown. He married second, Martha, surname also unknown. He married third, Jennie Cathey.
- i. Margaret Julia Catherine Torrence,6 died September, 1846 (tombstone record, Center Church Graveyard, North Carolina).
- ii. Hugh Torrence6
- iii. Julius Alexander Torrence6
- iv. Joseph Albert Torrence6
- v. James Harvey Torrence6
- ¶62. vi. Adam Perry Torrence6 married three times. Married, first, Mary Ann Jamison; married second, Marraret Thompson; married third, Julia Ann Blakeley.
Children of James Alexander and his first wife Martha Torrence were seven:
(Samuel4 Major Hugh3 Hugh2 Sergeant Hugh1), born July 19, 1818, died September 1, 1898. He married twice. His first wife was Matilda Smith, born February 19, 1828, died March 1, 1862. He married, second, Eunice Callendar, born May 10, 1828, in Armstrong County, Pennsylvania.
- i. Albert Torrence6
- ii. Elizabeth Bettie Torrence6
- iii. John Alexander Torrence6
- iv. William Torrence6
- v. Julia Catherine Torrence6married a Mr. Gibson.
- vi. Ann Torrence6 married a Mr. Alexander.
- vii. Carrie Torrence6 married a Mr. Nolan
Children of James Alexander and his second wife Martha Torrence were four:
- viii. Samuel Torrence6
- ix. Robert Torrence6
- x. Mollie Torrence6
- xi. Sally Torrence6
Children of James Alexander and Jennie (Cathey) Torrence were three:
- xii. Samuel Torrence6
- xiii. Walter Torrence6
- xiv. Huston Torrence6
Children of Samuel and Matilda (Smith) Torrance, Jr.
(Hugh4 Major Hugh3 Hugh2 Sergeant Hugh1 born October 7, 1804, died February 18, 1887. She married, in 1826, William Calhoun, who was born in 1804, and died October 8, 1826. Lived in Pennsylvania until the fall of 1857, when they removed to Birmingham, Iowa.
- i. Millvill Smith Torrance6 born July 9, 1850, died young.
- ii. Rebecca Jane Torrance6 born October 24, 1851, died young.
- iii. Mary Elizabeth Torrence6 born July 31, 1854, married twice. Married first, December 24, 1874, Adam Thomas, who died in 1876; married second, September 26,1878, 3. West Wilson.
- iv. Matilda Ellen Torrance6 born July 6, 1856; married Samuel Shryock. Issue, two:
- i. Mary Shryock7 married Frederick Glenn Campbell.
- ii. Bunche Shryock7112
- v. James Finley Torrance6 born March 13, 1859, married twice. His first wife was Elizabeth Miller, who died September 20, 1895; issue by first marriage, five:
- 1. Eva Blanche Torrence7 born October 20, 1887, married Russell E. Elliott. Issue, one:
- 1. Ruth Elliott9
- 2. Pearl Mary Torrance7 born June 17, 1888.
- 3. Mabel Torrance7 born December 21, 1890.
- 4. Bertha Belle Torrance7 born October 17,1892, married Ernest Smith, of Louise, Virginia, lives now in Florida.
- 5. Susan Haslett Torrance7 born September 15, 1895. James Finley Torrance married second, Adelia Miller. Issue, three:
- 6. James Hitgh Torrance7
- 7. Anna Priscilla Torrance7 born in Louise, Virginia.
- 8. Lillian Rae Torrance7
Children of William and Mary (Torrance) Calhoun were five:
(Hugh4 Major Hugh3 Hugh2 Sergeant Hugh11), born September 18, 1808, died February 9, 1884. "Hugh Torrance and Fenton Torrance accepted 234 acres, on Warrant No.89, February 4, 1847, in Franklin Township, Fayette County, Pennsylvania." Note 114-1 He married Elizabeth Larrimer, born December 25, 1826, died March 29, 1883.
- i. Elizabeth Calhoun6 born in 1827. She married twice. Her first marriage was September 27, 1846, to Robert Thorne, of Fairfield, Iowa, who died September 2, 1856. Issue by first marriage, two:
- 1. John C. Thorne7 who married Rose Atkins. Issue, one:
- i. Harry Atkins Thorne8 married Grace Atkins.
- 2. Anna Mary Thorne7 married L. H. Walters. Issue, three:
- i. Maud Walters.8
- ii. John Walters8
- iii. Dee Walters8
Elizabeth Calhoun, married second, in 1861, Zachariah W. Phillips, who died in 1910. Zachariah Phillips was a widower, and had children by his former marriage as follows: Presley, Thomas, Amanda, and Silvia Phillips. Issue of Zachariah W. and Elizabeth (Calhoun) Thorne Phillips, were three:
- 3. Elizabeth Phillips7 married L. M. Young, of Butler, Pennsylvania.
- 4. Julia Phillips7
- 5. Eva Phillips7 married Elmer Benton. Issue, one:
- i. Banks Benton8 married Wilminia Burkhalter.
- ii. Mary Calhoun6 born in 1829, married William Gordon.
- iii. Samuel Calhoun6 born in 1834, married in 1857, Martha Calhoun. Note 113-1 Issue, four:
- 1. Mary Ida Calhoun7 married Edward Daugherty, of Garden City, Kansas.
- 2. Greer Calhoun7
- 3. Guy Calhoun7
- 4. Clark Calhoun7
- iv. Margaret Calhoun6 born in 1837, married, in 1869, James Hill. Issue, three:
- 1. Bertha Hill7
- 2. Wallis Hill7 of Libertyville, Iowa.
- 3. Westley Hill7 of Davenport, Iowa.
- v. David K. Calhoun6 born March 9, 1842, lived on the home estate in Birmingham, Iowa. He married, November 19, 1868, Emma Rebecca Travis, born June 12, 1840; died July 24, 1915, a daughter of Martin B. and Isabella Travis. Issue, four:
- 1. Birdie Calhoun7 married a Mr. Bonnett.
- 2. Louella Calhoun7 married a Mr. Bogle.
- 3. Lillie Calhoun7
- 4. Johnson B. Calhoun7 died February 16, 1900.
Children of Fenton and Elizabeth (Larrimer) Torrance were eight:
(Hugh4 Major Hugh3 Hugh2 Sergeant Hugh1), changed the spelling of his name to Torrence. He was born in Westmoreland County, Pennsylvania, August 3, 1812, and died May 20, 1891. In 1863, James Torrence was made Second Lieutenant of the Second Battalion of the 145th Pennsylvania Regiment. He served as Associate Judge of Jefferson County, Pennsylvania, for five years. He 114] married twice. His first wife was Mary Caldwell, born May 29, 1817. She was a daughter of William Caldwell, of Indiana, Pennsylvania. She died July 3, 1857. They were married April 14, 1835. His second marriage was on July 1, 1858, to Mrs. Nancy Jane Kier McEllhose, born December 9, 1824, died December 10, 1897. She was a daughter of James and Hannah Kier, of Elders Ridge. James Torrence's issue by first marriage, seven; by second, three.
- i. Mary Craig Torrance,6 born April 15, 1849, died June 2, 1890, unmarried.
- ii. Susannah Torrance,6 born April 1, 1851, died July 15, 1873; married Marion Hughes. Issue, one:
- 1. Harry Hughes,7 born August 31, 1871, died February 27,1915.
- iii. Margaret Stewart Torrance, 6 born March 21, 1853, died July 18, 1880.
- iv. Hugh Milo Torrance,6 born March 8, 1855; died May 23, 1891, married, May 28, 1885, Josephine K. Black, born November 15,1855; died June 29, 1890. Issue, three:
- 1. Elizabeth Torrance, 7 married Edward Murdock.
- 2. James Fenton Torrance, 7 born November 2, 1888; of Manordale Stock Farm, Export, Weatmoreland County, Pennsylvania, a tract of land that has been in the family since 1774; Manager and Treasurer of the Republican Primary State Committee sponsoring Arthur H. James for the Governorship of Pennsylvania (1938); married Helen Zimmerman. Issue, three:
- i. J. Milo Torrance,8 born January 4, 1912.
- ii. James Fenton Torrance,8 born September 30, 1914.
- iii. Rorert Zimmerman Torrance,8 born October 31, 1921.
- 3. Samuel Black Torrance.7
- v. John Larrimer Torrance,6 born October 31, 1857, died August 26, 1887; married, September 19, 1883, Sallie M. Paul. Issue, one:
- 1. Hugh Fenton Torrance,7 born December 10, 1885, died January 17, 1917; married, October 14,1915, Sarah Adda McIlvaine. Issue, two:
- i. Hugh Fenton Torrance,8 born September 15,1916.
- ii. Mary Agnes Torrance,8 born January 4,1918, died August 13, 1918.
- vi. Eliza Jane Torrance,6 born February 19, 1860, died June 17, 1880.
- vii. James Fenton Torrance,6 born October27, 1861, died July 8,1880.
- viii. William Craig Torrance,6 born December 1, 1863, died November 21, 1882, while studying for the ministry.
Children of James and Mary (Caldwell) Torrence were seven:
(William4 Major Hugh3 Hugh2 Sergeant Hugh1), born December 17, 1885, died August 12, 1871; lived at Rochester, Pennsylvania; married, October, 1858, Elizabeth Edwards.
- i. SILAS FENTON Torrence6 born November 17, 1836, died March 11, 1891; married, March 30, 1865, Sarah Jane McHenry, born December 13,1848, daughter of James and Mary McHenry. Issue, six:
- 1. William Torrence7 born November 9, 1867, died August 2,1921.
- 2. Anna Mary Torrence7 born December 29, 1871; married, October 26, 1893, Morgan David Cutler, son of Thomas and Mary Ann (Blair) Cutler. Issue, three:
- i. Isabell Caldwell Cutler8 born December 17, 1895.
- ii. Torrence Matson Cutler8 born August 20, 1898.
- iii. Marian Blair Cutler8 born February 9, 1911.
- 3. Charles L. Torrence7 born November 6, 1873, married Savilla Cordelia Palmer, born July 30, 1877, daughter of Philip and Jennie (Brown) Palmer. Issue, six:
- i. Charles Robinson Torrence8 born May 31,1898, died June 11,1898.
- ii. William George Torrence8 born June 23, 1899.
- iii. Cecil Miles Torrence8 born June 2, 1901; married Edna Swan Pearce, daughter of Allen and Louise (Swan) Pearce. Issue, two:
- 1. Robin Louise Torrence9 born June 24, 1928.
- 2. Thomas Canfield Torrence9 born February 9, 1930.
- iv. Anna Pearl Torrence8 born July 3, 1903, married, July 30, 1927, Carl Frederick Schrenk.
- v. Ruth Palmer. Torrence8 born September 17, 1905.
- vi. Charles L. Torrence8 born February 17, 1907.
- 4. Hugh Bertrum Torrence7 born February 20, 1877; married, July 10, 1910, Louise Wilhelmina Cramer, daughter of Heinrich and Christine (Fischer) Cramer, born in Gablenberg. Wiirttemberg, Germany; came to America, May 19, 1904. Issue, five:
- i. Mildred W. Torrence8 born August 4, 1911.
- ii. Louise Torrence5
- iii. Bertha Jane Torrence5 born July 15, 1915.
- iv. Hugh Bertram Torrence, JR8
- v. Nancy Elie Torrence8 born March, 1927.
- 5. Earl McHenry Torrence7 born December .29, 1885; married, July 15, 1903, Elizabeth Mae Dunmire, daughter of Christian and Clara (Grouve) Dunmire, born May 3, 1886. Issue, three:
- i. Elizabeth Hanna Kier Torrence8 born August 25, 1904.
- ii. Earl McHenry Torrence8 born July 31, 1907.
- iii. Christian Dunmire Torrence8 born October 20, 1909.
- 6. Paul Fenton Torrence7 born August14, 1883, died June 19, 1919.
- ii. William Caldwell Torrence6 born March 15,1839, died January 10, 1917; served three years in the 38th Pennsylvania Regiment. Was the first man to enlist in Jefferson County, joining Company G, City Guards, 115 of Allegheny County, under Captain John B. Brookbanks. Married, July 17, 1873, Mary Adelia Little, daughter of Jacob Little, of Somerset County, Pennsylvania, born May 26, 1849, died March 4, 1907. Issue, four:
- 1. Floy Little Torrence7 born January 16, 1877; married, December 11, 1902, Frank Leroy Campbell, son of William and Mary (Myers) Campbell.
- 2. Nancy Jane Kier Torrence7 born December 1, 1880; married, September 15, 1904, Frank L. Neff, born October 27, 1875, of Indiana, Pennsylvania. Issue, two;
- i. William Torrence Neff8 born September 1, 1905.
- ii. Eleanor Louise T. Neff8 born February 19, 1907.
- 3. Caldwell Torrence Mary7 born January 8, 1882.
- 4. Ella Torrence7 born December 17, 1884.
- iii. Martha Louise Torrence6 born February 5, 1841, died in 1842.
- iv. Anna Mary Torrence6 born April 3, 1843, died August 7, 1870; married, July 23, 1865, Dr. John Hughes, surgeon in U. S. Army. Issue, two:
- 1. Jamess Torrence Hughes7 born May 18, 1866.
- 2. Samuel Barnett V. Hughes7 born January 12, 1868.
- v. Doctor James Monroe Torrence6 born December 6, 1845, died December 15,1912. He enlisted in Company K, 105th Pennsylvania Infantry; was wounded twice in the battle of Chancellorsville; was present at General Lee's surrender; graduate of Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, in 1873. He was director of the First National Bank of Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania; married, May 1,1879, Ida Jane Hildebrand, born February 1, 1853, daughter of Edward P. and Elizabeth Hildebrand. Issue, three:
- 1. Helen Torrence7 born March 27, 1881; married, September 18, 1901, David Blair. Issue, three:
- i. David Blair, Jr8 born April 2, 1903.
- ii. Katherine T. Blair8 born February 6, 1906.
- iii. John Pringle Blair8 born December 10, 1907. 2. James Monroe Torrence, Jr7 M. D., born July 19, 1887, graduate of Jefferson Medical College, degree of M.D.
- 3. Arthur Hildebrand Torrence7 born June 11, 1889, lives in Indiana, Pennsylvania.
- ¶63. vi. George Hugh Torrence6 married twice. Married first, Virginia Caroline Miller; married second, Ada E. Smith.
- vii. John Quincy Adams Torrance6 born August 17, 1850, died April 25, 1870. Children of James and Nancy Jane (Kier) McEllhose Torrence were three; and there was an adopted son:
- viii. Elizabeth Hannah Kier Torrence6 born January 12, 1800, died in 1934, in Punxsutawney, Pennsylv ania; was an authoress, historian, and genealogist. As stated at the beginning of this chapter, had it not been for the notes she took from the old family Bible, it is doubtful if so complete a history of this branch of the family could have been written.
- ix. Ella Marcelia Torrence6 born March 3, 1863, lives at "Hill Top", her home in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania; unmarried. Her sister's records came into her possession and, due to her kindness, were placed in the hands of the compiler. 116
- x. Nanna Dannetta Torrence,6 born April 16, 1868, died March 1, 1870.
- xi. J. Edward Torrence6 born May 14, 1890, died November 47 1929. (An adopted son.)
Children of the Reverend Oliver Perry and Elizabeth (Edwards) Torrence were five:
(Albert4 Major Hugh3 Hugh2 Sergeant Hugh1), born August 5, 1843, died March 22, 1916; married, November 21, 1872, James Crawford, who died July 5, 1915.
- i. Marvin Cyrus Torrence6 died an infant.
- ii. Katharine Amanda Torrence6 died at Rochester, in 1922.
- iii. Margaret Love Torrence6 died young.
- iv. Emma Blanche Torrence,6 died in 1924, married S. LaRue Tone. Issue, three:
- 1. Elizabeth Torrence Tone7 married a Mr. Hosmer. Issue, two:
- i. John Hosmer8
- ii. Larue Hosmer8
- 2. Katherine Spafford Tone7 married a Mr. Harrington.
- 3. George LaRue Tone7
- v. James Frederick Torrance6 married Helen Bonsall. Issue, one:
- 1. Lieutenant James Frederick Torrence7 graduate of U.S. Military Academy, West Point, Class of 1923; is now, in 1935, on duty at Fort Benning, Georgia. He married, in 1926, Dorothy Severance, of Erie, Pennsylvania. Issue, one:
- i. James Edward Torrence9 born October 23, 1932.
Children of James and Sarah Jane (Torrance) Crawford were seven:
(David5 Alexander4 Adam3 Hugh2 Sergeant Hugh1), married three times. He married first, on August 17, 1860, Note 118-1 Mary Ann Jamison, of whom he had three children. He married second, Margaret Thompson, of whom he had two children. He married third, Julia Ann Blakeley, of whom he had at least five children.
- i. Harvey Torrance Crawford6 born May 24, 1874; married, October 28, 1903, Elizabeth McKee, of Amsterdam, Missouri. Issue, four:
- 1. Ellen Bell Crawford7 born September 27, 1904.
- 2. William Clyde Crawford7 born November 29,1906, died August 12, 1907.
- 3. Howard M. Crawford7 born June 14, 1909.
- 4. Bessie Jane Crawford7 born October 12, 1912.
- ii. Mary Bell Crawford6 born August 27, 1875; married, December 25, 1902, Harry M. Fowler. Issue, three:
- 1. Elizabeth Crawford Fowler7 born October 26, 1903.
- 2. James Morton Fowler7 born July 28, 1905.
- 3. (Daughter) Fowler7 born December 1906; died an infant.
- iii. Clarence Culp Crawford6 born May 14,1878; married, March 21, 1906, Mabel Hulbert, of Grove City, Pennsylvania. Issue, two:
- 1. Stanley Townsend Crawford7 born February 25, 1907.
- 2. Isabel Russell Crawford7 born March 14,1914.
- iv. James Larrimer Crawford6 born May 2, 1880.
- v. William Clark Crawford6 born October 21, 1883 117
- vi. Daniel Morton CrawforD6 born December 21, 1885; married, January, 1917, Sarah Williams.
- vii. Glen Martin Crawford6 born October 1, 1887.
Children of Abram Ferry and Mary Ann (Jamison) Torrence were three:
(James5 Hugh4 Major Hugh3 Hugh2 Sergeant Hugh1), born May 8, 1848, died November 7, 1920. He enlisted in Company B, 206th Pennsylvania Volunteers, andserved throughout the Civil War. He married twice. His first wife was Virginia Caroline Miller, whom he married June 1, 1876. She was born 118 in 1852, and died January 31, 1890; was a daughter of Adam and Jane (Woodward) Miller. He married second, July 22, 1891, Ada E. Smith, born December 30, 1854, a daughter of John and Margaret (McKee) Smith, of Clarion County, Pennsylvania. No issue by the second marriage.
- i. Franklin Lee Torrence7
- ii. Emma Torrence7 married W. B. Gibson. Statesville, North Carolina.
- iii. Elizabeth Torrence7
Children of Abram Ferry and Margaret (Thompson) Torrence were two:
- iv. John Henry Torrence7 died an infant...
- v. Ida Torrence1 married a Mr, Young.
Children of Abram Ferry and Julia Ann (Blakeley) Torrence were at least five:
- vi. Albert Torrence7
- vii. Harry Grady Torrance7 who bas kindly furnished the data for this branch, married Lula Lee Mundy, and lives at Beatty's Ford, on an original tract granted to the Douglass family, adjoining the Adam Torrence tract. Issue, four:
- 1. Harry Grady Torrance8
- 2. David Lawson Torrence8
- 3. Ann Louise Torrance8
- 4. Ellen Howard Torrence8
- viii. Estelle Torrence7
- ix. Minnie Torrence7
- x. Lucy Torrence7
Children of George Hugh and Virginia Caroline (Miller) Torrence, were two:
- i. Henry Mondorf Torrence7 born March 17, 1877, at "Mount Joy", Jefferson County, Pennsylvania. He served throughout the Spanish-American War as Corporal, in Company 1,16th Pennsylvania Regiment. He took up his residence, on July 28, 1903, in Spokane, Washington.
- ii. Frank Miller Torrence7 born at "Mount Joy," Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, February 10,1879. He served as Second Sergeant in the Spanish-American War, is professor of engineering at Pennsylvania State College. Married, July 26, 1900, Sean Lindsay, born July 4, 1885, in Louisville, Kentucky, a daughter of Robert and Sarah (Tippine) Lindsay, who Came from Busby, Scotland. Issue, four:
- 1. Joseph Lindsay Torrence8 born December 10, 1910, died January 1, 1911.
- 2. Ruth Torrence8 born August 13,1012, married, September 28, 1935, Harry H. Balthaser.
- 3. Jean Floyd Torrence8 born December 12, 1915.
- 4. Barbara Bess Torrence8 born November 4, 1919.
Torrence and Allied Families Written by Robert McIlvane Torrence, published 1938
Document URI: http://genealogy.torrens.org/Torrens/books/RMT/rmt09.html
Last modified: Sun, 29 Dec 2019 13:25:32 GMT
© 2000 - 2023 Richard Torrens.