the earliest name of record in this branch of the family, was born in 1735, at Larkhall, in southern Scotland, where he died in 1805. Larkhall is a picturesque town situated on the left bank of the River Clyde, almost midway between East Kilbride and Hamilton. It is very interesting to note that Larkhall, his home, was in the same county, and within a few miles of the places mentioned in the testaments and records quoted in connection with the other Torrences, who have been spoken of in the earlier chapters, as having first lived in Scotland, later going to Ireland, and from there to America.
This branch of the family uses, in connection with the Torrance coat-of-arms, a bull's head, for its crest, whereas, the earlier-mentioned branch uses for its crest, crossed laurel branches.
(Thomas1), born in 1786; died in 1870; came to Canada as a young man. In 1811, he married Elizabeth Fisher, who was born in 1794, and died in 1862. His home, "St. Antoine Hall", a spacious stone house which stood in grounds of many acres, surrounded by a high wall and iron gates, in Montreal, was noted for its beauty, but having been located in the path of industrial development, has met the fate of many beautiful estates. 166
vi. Catherine Anne Torrance3 born 1820; married Thomas Vaneck.
vii. Elizabeth Fisher Torrance3 born 1821; married John Wood.
viii. Judge Frederick William Torrance,3 born in 1823; died 1887; married Laura J. Pugh, or Laura Genevieve Hershey.
ix. Jessie Therese Torrance3 born 1824; died 1851; married William Forbes.
x. Robert Alder Torrance5 born in 1826; died in 1848.
xi. Elliot Torrance3 born 1828; died 1850; married Sir Alexander Galt, of Scottish stock, born 1817, in Chelsea, England; died 1893, in Canada, where he had gone as a young man, and became a leading Statesman; builder of railroads, and in short, one of Canada's greatest men. Issue, one:
1. Elliott Galt4 born 1850; died 1928; succeeded his father as the head of his family and a leader in Canada's development.
xii. Mary Eaking Torrance3 born 1831; died 1907.
xiii. Amy Torrance3 died 1936; married her sister Elliott's widower, Sir Alexander Galt, and had twelve children, two of whom died in infancy. Issue given, ten:
1. John Galt4 died 1933; one of Winnipeg's pioneers, married, first, Isabelle Atkinson; married, second, Mabel Henderson, of Kingston. Issue, one:
i. John Galt5 killed in World War.
2. Amy Gordon Galt4 married, in 1883, Robert Grant, a writer and lawyer, of Boston, Massachusetts. Issue, four:
i. Robert Grant5
ii. Alexander Grant5
iii. Patrick Grant5
iv. Gordon Grant5
3. Kate Galt4 unmarried.
4. Mabel Galt4 married Charles Alexander Magrath; resided in Leithbridge. Issue, two:
i. Amy Gordon Magrath5
ii. Mabel Laura Magrath5
5. Selena Galt4 unmarried.
6. Alice Galt4 Unmarried. 167
7. Oneida Galt4 died in 1912; married, in 1896, Augustus Decimus Durnford. Issue, three:
i. Philip Durnford5
ii. A. T. Galt Durnford5
iii. Elliot Augustine Durnford5
8. Muriel Galt4 became a trained nurse and served on many fronts throughout the World War.
9. Anne Prince Galt4 married William Harvey Smith, a prominent physician, of Winnipeg. Issue, two:
i. Henry Gordon Smith5
ii. Muriel Harvey Smith5
10. Evelyn Cartier Galt4 authoress of "My Children's Children", published in Montreal, 1932; married, May 6, 1893, Arthur Richard Springett, of the Springett family from which came William Penn's wife. They spent many years on ranches in Southern Alberta. Issue, two:
i. Amy Louise Springett5 married, October, 1923, Theodore Bigelow Heney.
ii. Margaret Evelyn Springett5 married, September, 1925, Captain Eric Elkington, R. A. M. C., in the village of Ringmer, Sussex, England.
i. Charles Torrance4 born 1847; died 1925; married Caroline Jackson. Issue, one:
1. W. Jackson Torrance5 a clergyman in Tunbridge Wells, England; married and left issue, three.
ii. William Fraser Torrance4 born at Montreal, 1849; has given much information for this branch of the family; resides at 2045 Metcalf Street, Montreal. He married Miss J. T. Wood, born in 1852; died in 1924. Issue, one:
1. Marjorie Torrance5 born in 1886; unmarried.
iii. Forbes Torrance4 born in 1851; died in 1895; married Alice Stewart. Issue, four:
1. Donald Torrance5 was killed during the World War.
2. Samuel Torrance5 was also killed in World War.
3. Stewart Torrance5
4. Lilias Torrance5 a well known portrait painter in Canada, married a Mr. Newton.
iv. Fraser Torrance4 born in 1852; died in 1902; married May Jack. No issue.
v. Lilias Torrance4 born in 1855; died in 1892; married Dr. Shepherd, of Montreal, a distinguished surgeon. Issue, three:
1. Cecilia Shepherd5 born in 1881; married Percy Nobbs, an architect.
2. Dorothy Shepherd5 born in 1886; unmarried.
3. Ernest Gordon Shepherd5 born in 1879; was killed in the World War.
vi. Frederick Torrance4 born in 1858; died in 1924; married, in 1884, Julia Jarvis, born 1859; died 1932. Issue, two:
1. Percival Victor Torrance5 born April 4, 1887; married, in 1915, Marjorie Coombes, and resides in Winnepeg.
2. Marion Torrance5 Note 168-1 born in 1886; married, in 1911, 168 Edward S. Sherwood, whose home is "Maitland," Rockliffe Park, Ottawa, Canada. Issue, three:
(John2 Thomas1), was born in 1835, and died in 1910. About 1860, he removed to the United States, by way of Montreal; lived and died at Tenafly, New Jersey. He married Sarah Creighton Peet, who was born in 1837, and died in 1896.
Children of Henry and Sarah Creighton (Peet) Torrance, seven:
i. Bertha Torrance4 born in 1861; married, in 1886, George Hamilton, of Elizabethtown, New York, born in 1844, and died in 1929. Issue, four:
1. Margaret Hamilton5 born in 1887.
2. Kenneth Hamilton5 born in 1888; married, in 1931, Mary Morphy.
3. Minard Hamilton5 born in 1890.
4. Amy Gordon Hamilton5 born in 1891.
ii. Kenneth Torrance4 born in 1863; died in 1916; married Louise L. Meisel, who resides in New York, New York.
iii. Alexander Torrance4 born in 1865; married, in 1907, Anna Bushnell; resides at "The Oaks", Headley Road, Morristown, New Jersey.
iv. Norman Fraser Torrance4 born in 1868; is unmarried, and resides in New York City.
v. Henry Torrance4 born March 7, 1870; married, in 1917, Mary Hedges Fisher. They reside at 112 East 17th Street, New York City.
vi. Amy Gordon Torrance4 born in 1871; married, in 1901, Arthur Nelson Taft, born in 1867.