[4qd-bannvalley] Kilrea families Ontario

I have found a number of Kilrea families on the 1881 Canadian
Census living in Ontario. Families include Reid, Irwin, McNeill
etc. In Australia we have many examples of Chain Migration
where families, singles, friends etc followed each other to the
same area. Am I correct in assuming that this happened in
Canada also? How can I find out what happened to these
families? I haven't gone looking for Canadian connections
before so all suggestions gratefully received.
Thanks Pauline O'Keeffe Australia