[4qd-bannvalley] Meen

--MS_Mac_OE_3199695018_114682_MIME_Part

Someone was wondering about the meaning of meen / min etc.
I have consulted P.W. Joyce's Irish Names of Places (Vol.2) - from section
on Quagmires and Watery Places I quote "The word min (meen) signifies fine
or smooth ....... topographically it is often applied to a green spot,
comparatively snooth and fertile, producing grass and rushes, on the face of
a mountain or in the midst of coarse rugged hilly land ...."  Later in the
section on size / shape it states "The word min among other significaions
means small, and is occasionally used in the same manner as beg...."
Alas, Joyce throws no light on "Shrans"

--MS_Mac_OE_3199695018_114682_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Meen</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
Someone was wondering about the meaning of meen / min etc.<BR>
I have consulted P.W. Joyce's Irish Names of Places (Vol.2) - from section =
on Quagmires and Watery Places I quote &quot;The word <I>min</I> (meen) sign=
ifies fine or smooth ....... topographically it is often applied to a green =
spot, comparatively snooth and fertile, producing grass and rushes, on the f=
ace of a mountain or in the midst of coarse rugged hilly land ....&quot; &nb=
sp;Later in the section on size / shape it states &quot;The word <I>min</I> =
among other significaions means small, and is occasionally used in the same =
manner as <I>beg</I>....&quot;<BR>
Alas, Joyce throws no light on &quot;Shrans&quot;=20
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3199695018_114682_MIME_Part--