[4qd-bannvalley] Re: Calderwoods

In article <20060104121438.A75FE730A7B@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
   <woods@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Two points regarding Calderwoods:

> Firstly, you will need to check the surname Catherwood as well as
> Calderwood, as the two names were interchangeable. A family known as
> Calderwood in one record may appear in another as Catherwood.

Indeed: think about these two names hand-written - in a poor hand. Even if
the two names are different, reading them correctly would be impossible!

One has to also think how the names were pronounced, with an Irish accent,
then written down phonetically by the scribe, because the person could not
write.

Searching modern records for a fixed name/spelling doesn't work: one
reason why I don't like web lookup type databases and far prefer to read
through the complete originals!

--
Richard Torrens  - torrens@xxxxxxx
Bann Valley Genealogy site: http://www.4qd.org/bann/