[4qd-bannvalley] Allotment of glebes in barony of Loughinsholin [c.1624]

Hi all-

Just back from a week long internment at the Family
History Library in Salt Lake - first class operation -
very very impressive!

I am now trying to sort through my finds!

One source that another researcher had told me about
was a book entitled "The Bishopric of Derry and the
Irish Society of London 1602-1705".  It contains
manuscripts and records which dealt with The Foyle
fishery case of 1945-48 in the High Court of Dublin -
basically over the the title to the fishing rights in
the Foyle -legally disputed for centuries.  To present
the case involved drawing on early records of the
diocese of Derry  to other property owners in the
diocese - voluminous manuscript files now called the
Ellis manuscripts.  The most important of these
disputes - that with the Irish Society - related to
fishing rights in the Foyle and Bann rivers and to the
parcels of land in the neighbourhood of Derry City but
(and I quote) "taken together they illustrate in
unusual detail the administration, civil and
ecclesiastical, the economic and social life of the
Foyle-Bann region."

I found the book fascinating because it concentrates
on areas where my Stewarts and Lowrys lived (the Bann
and the Foyle) Mostly relying on the indexes - places,
people, and even subjects - I found one letter dealing
with allotment of glebes in the barony of
Loughinsholin [c.1624]  It is labeled Ellis MS number
41.  It mentioned the glebe that my Stewarts were in
in Tamlaght O'Crilly - Killymuck!

Knowing that others on this list have the same
confusion over glebe lands I thought I would copy the
chart of the glebes in this barony to the BV list. It
is in 3 columns. Hope you can read it.

______________
Allotment of glebes in barony of Loughinsholin
[c.1624]

Glebes to be allotted to the several parishes in the
barony of Loughinisholin in the diocese of Dery.

    Incumbents               Parishes
             Glebes

Robert Hogg, clerk       To Kilreagh, wherin(with
  3/4 of Killemuck
                                    6 balliboes of
grangeland)     lying in the parish
                                    are contained 13
balliboes     of Tawlaught O

                           Croyly

                                    To Disert Martin,
wherein      1 balliboe called
                                    are balliboes 21
                  Drom'ore lying in

                           the parish of Dis

                           ert Martin and

                           1/4 of Killemuck

                           lying in theparish

                           of Tawlaught O

                           Croyly.

William Tegart, Clerk   To Termonany alias
   1/2 of Gortenure
                                    Mullahanry,
containing          lying inKillalaughy
                                    5 balliboes.

                                    To Killcronohan
con              1 balliboe called
                                    taining 19
balliboes              Dromfawne lyingin

                         the parish of Kill-

                         cronahan.

Gilbert Sutton, Clerk   To Ballineskrene con-
  1 balliboe called
                                   taining 28
balliboes              Banharan [?Don-

                        arnon] lying in the

                        parish of

                        Ballineskrene and

                        1/2 and 1/8 of a

                        town called Drom-

                        nenahin in the par-

                        ish of lyssan, which

                        instead of Donrea-

                        he and Rosemenary

                        is held as glebe.

Oliver Mather, Clerk  To Tawlaught O Croyly
1 balliboe called
                                 containing 18
balliboes         Killegulbe lying in

                       Tawlaught O Croyly

                                 To Killelaughy
containing     1/2 of Gortenure ly-
                                  8 1/2 balliboes
              ing in Killalaughy

Thomas Tonne,         To Magheragh containing     2
balliboes, viz. Bal-
 Clerk                        32 2/3 balliboes
         linehone lying in the

                      parish of  Magheragh

                     and Ballinepecketra in

                     in the parish of Taw-

                     laught O Croyly.

                                To Ballineskullin
contain-     1/2 a balliboe called
                                ing 10 balliboes.
           Monestahane lying in

                    the parish of Taw-

                   laught O Croyly

I may find more tidbits to send at a later date.
Enjoy!

Barbara