[4qd-bannvalley] O'Kane connection

--=====================_24929015==.ALT

"Lots of O'Kanes in the north" is probably a understatement.

When I found our family farmstead in Gorteade in 1999, I'd pulled
over to the roadside, and waved down a farmer on a tractor to ask if
he knew whether there were any Kanes or O'Kanes living in the
area.  He waved his arm from one horizon to the other and declared
that "there are nothing BUT O'Kanes living around here!!"  Turned out
he was Patrick O'Kane, and, by luck and navigating from a 1837 map,
I'd pulled into the driveway of what had been my ancestor's farmhouse
(unfortunately torn down a week before, but great for small
artifacts).  Since you went to Dungiven, you probably already know
that the O'Cahan clan were the "Princes" of Co. Coleraine, the
predecessor of Co. Londonderry.  Until disowned as part of the
Plantation, the clan ruled this whole area.  In 1613 about a
half-million acres of clan lands were transferred to the various
"London Companies" in an English effort to bring in more compliant
Scottish and English landowners.  The former clansmen largely became
tenant farmers to English and Scottish landlords.

My Kanes left Gorteade circa 1862-64, worked in the Gateshead area in
NE England (Gateshead), until about 1882, when they started to
serially migrate to America, landing for the most-part in
Philadelphia.  I don't know of any connection to Joseph Leach O'Kane, but ...

Good luck in your search,

Tim

At 07:24 PM 4/27/2006 -0400, you wrote:
>Hi, Dave,
>
>I understand there are/were lots of O'Kanes in the north. At this
>point, I know some of my ancestors  were from Tirkeeran and
>Magheramore, near Garvagh.
>  I visited the O'Cahan grave at the Dungiven Priory last month and
> was told there are/were many  O'Kanes in Dungiven.
>My O'Kanes (Joseph Leach O'Kane) settled in Pittsburgh, PA.
>Sorry I can't be of more help.
>
>Peggy

--=====================_24929015==.ALT

&quot;Lots of O'Kanes in the north&quot; is probably a
understatement.&nbsp; <br><br>
When I found our family farmstead in Gorteade in 1999, I'd pulled over to
the roadside, and waved down a farmer on a tractor to ask if he knew
whether there were any Kanes or O'Kanes living in the area.&nbsp; He
waved his arm from one horizon to the other and declared that &quot;there
are nothing BUT O'Kanes living around here!!&quot;&nbsp; Turned out he
was Patrick O'Kane, and, by luck and navigating from a 1837 map, I'd
pulled into the driveway of what had been my ancestor's farmhouse
(unfortunately torn down a week before, but great for small
artifacts).&nbsp; Since you went to Dungiven, you probably already know
that the O'Cahan clan were the &quot;Princes&quot; of Co. Coleraine, the
predecessor of Co. Londonderry.&nbsp; Until disowned as part of the
Plantation, the clan ruled this whole area.&nbsp; In 1613 about a
half-million acres of clan lands were transferred to the various
&quot;London Companies&quot; in an English effort to bring in more
compliant Scottish and English landowners.&nbsp; The former clansmen
largely became tenant farmers to English and Scottish landlords.
My Kanes left Gorteade circa 1862-64, worked in the Gateshead area in NE
England (Gateshead), until about 1882, when they started to serially
migrate to America, landing for the most-part in Philadelphia.&nbsp; I
don't know of any connection to Joseph Leach O'Kane, but ...<br><br>
Good luck in your search,<br><br>
Tim&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; <br><br>
At 07:24 PM 4/27/2006 -0400, you wrote:<br>
&nbsp;<br>
I understand there are/were lots of O'Kanes in the north. At this point,
I know some of my ancestors&nbsp; were from Tirkeeran and Magheramore,
near Garvagh.<br>
&nbsp;I visited the O'Cahan grave at the Dungiven Priory last month and
was told there are/were many&nbsp; O'Kanes in Dungiven.<br>
My O'Kanes (Joseph Leach O'Kane) settled in Pittsburgh, PA.<br>
Sorry I can't be of more help.<br>
&nbsp;<br>