[4qd-bannvalley] Smyrl / Smirl (sic)

Dear List members,

I only came across this List earlier today by chance. I'm descended from
Samuel Smyrl (1764-1853) who from about 1800 resided at Drumconvis, Co.
Tyrone. He married Jane Eakin, daughter of Gabriel Eakin of the same place,
in about 1800. Where he came from before that period is not clear. Smyrls
(and variant spellings) tend to be concentrated around Kilrea/Finvoy and
Coleraine. I assume that Samuel Smyrl originated in either of these two
localities. The first name Paul is very prevalent amongst Kilrea Smyrls, but
not at all in Coleraine - neither has it ever been used within my own
family. This makes we wonder does my chap fit into the Coleraine lot?

I undertook an awful lot of research 20 or so years ago, but even though I
now work as a professional genealogist (based in Dublin) I've hardly done a
tap of Smyrl (sic) research since! Is anyone else researching Smyrl or Smirl
(sic)?

Cheers,

Steven Smyrl