[4qd-bannvalley] Making the research leap to Scotland

Hi Alison - I'm Des Rainey from Auckland and I have the same interest as
you. I have traced my Rainey-Adams-Boyd-Griffith connection back to Kilrea
and on my mother's side my Greer-Agnew connection back to around
Randalstown. Generally they seem to have been Presbyterian (but with some
marriage into Caholic). I gather that they all came from Scotland but the
only reference that is anyway specific relates to my Adams branch.

My great Aunt Jennie Adams of Dumagarner House in Kilrea, told me in 1961:
"Our forebears came from Scotland about 300 years ago. I was told 3 brothers
came over . One settled where I was brought up outside Kilrea on the Maghera
Road. One settled about the same distance from Kilrea on the Coleraine Road.
And the third one settled further along that same road.'

My dad, Alelxander Rainey, left a note saying the first of these Adams as
"Samuel Adams and his son - settled Claragh'. Against the second he noted:
"settled Carnroe. Colonel Adams just retired, living Garvagh.''

Jennie left also these tantalising notes:

ADAMS/ADAM: Clan: Gordon (Scotch)

THE NAME: from Hebrew 'Adam': red

WAR CRY: 'A Gordon! A Gordon!

BADGE: Ivy.

But for me, in end of the world New Zealand and not knowing much about
Scotland, I 'd be interested if anyone could tell me if the bulk of Bann
Valley people would be of Highland or Lowland origin - and what, broadly,
does it mean for those of us interested in our ethnic origin.

Cheers

Des Rainey