[4qd-bannvalley] North Coast Ferries

Hi,

I found an 1855 reference to steamers plying weekly between Portrush,
Liverpool and Glasgow - here's the link:

http://books.google.com/books?id=71E2AAAAMAAJ&pg=PP7&vq=coleraine&dq=history+of+coleraine+ferries#PPA387,M1

I haven't read the whole book but there might be more in there.

My great grandfather John Fleming 1848-1900 may have used this route to
travel to the West of Scotland for work in his early 20s.  When he marries
Martha Galbraith of Dunderg in 1872 at Coleraine his residence is listed as
Port Glasgow and he is probably working in the shipyards there.  After
returning home to marry, he stays in Ireland until about 1890 when he moves
to Glasgow permanently, perhaps taking a local ferry.  I'd be interested in
finding out more too!

Regards,

Simon Fleming