Re: [Bann Valley] Church records and cemeteries--Castledawson, Bellaghy, Ballymena

Hi Linda,

Hopefully I can help you a little bit!:-) Firstly, Bellaghy Presbyterian and Knockloughrim Presbyterian (Back of the hill) are 'Joint Charges' (i.e. they have the same minister).. There are TWO Presbyterian churches in Magherafelt, First Presbyterian and Union Road Presbyterian.
I am involved in a project to photograph graveyards (and subsequently transcribe them for the Bann valley site.. you'll find some of my work on there!).. So far, I haven't managed to photograph Castledawson. I HAVE photographed Ballyscullion Parish Church in Bellaghy, so if there are any grave photos that you want copies of, please just ask! As I'm sure you know, Bellaghy Presbyterian does not have a graveyard of it's own (which is pretty rare now for a Presbyterian Church).
However, the good news for you is that, yes, Castledawson Presbyterian does indeed have a graveyard! I can raise it to the top of my photographic mission if you'd like me to check it out for you!:-)
I'm almost jealous that you have the Castledawson Presbyterian film! I might get you to check out a few marriages for me!lol! :-)

Well currently, Barbara Braswell and I are transcribing Maghera Presbyterian Church's marriage records for the Bann Valley website.. Barbara obtained Maghera Presbyterian's film a few years ago.. she photographs the pages and sends them to me & I transcribe the text with the idea that this will be put onto the Bann Valley site to help other researchers! Funnily enough, I was talking to a friend at work today about a record I'd found of his great grandmother.. who was a McCullough from Ballynease / Ballymacombs. She'd been married in 1910... maybe a distant relation of yours?? Anyway, I'm attaching the photo of the page for your perusal!

As far as Ballymena goes, I'm not sure.. but I'll certainly look into it for you!

If there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to ask!:-)

Denver