RE: [Bann Valley] Re: Welcome to BannValley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Fastyre mie Boyde,

Thanks for getting back to me. I am on the Isle of Man. Betwixt and
between as you might say. This makes it very difficult for me to get
over there and visit PRONI. I would need to take leave all the time
and however long it would take. I have a researcher engaged currently
who is good.

However, Thomas is proving very difficult to get past. He was born on
August the 31st, 1816. This we got from a surviving relative we found.
I thought I was the only part of the family left. They have Thomas
Hendersons bible. We know how old he was when he died in 1902. He was
a grand old chap. 15 children! We know there are Hendersons living at
that house/farm well before him. But there is no link to say -yes-
that is Thomas's father. The next generation after him living there
would appear to be a John Henderson. Again no link can be  found. The
marriage records of Thomas and Matilda would have given us Thomas's
fathers name.

We think he had a brother, Archie from Garvagh village just down the
road. He ran the tannery there. But again cant establish a direct link
other than Archie's will where he leave £5 to his mother in Ballyagan -
 Sarah. Thomas is present as a witness.

How does that sound? The records you mention have been looked at, but
its the links that are the problem?

I would be interested to know a little bit more about the references
you mention in the tith applotment books and 1831 census and what
conclusions you can draw? I am heavily reliant on my researcher, but
have found them to be excellent so far. They found my relative, who I
have since been to visit and photographed the family bible etc.

Many thanks

Bill

> Hi Bill,
>
> You seem to be well versed in Irish Records so I hesitate to mention
these
> two obvious sources, but, if Thomas was born in 1812, then it is
unlikely to
> be him, but it IS likely to his father, who appears in the family
plot and
> the house in the 1828 Tithe Applotment Books and the 1831 Census
> respectively.  Of course it could be his uncle or something else but
since
> you have not mentioned them, I thought I would.
>
> Both are available from the Mormons or locally.  Where are you?
>
> Boyd Gray
>
> http://familytrees.genopro.com/boydgray26/Boyd/default.htm

Records a few
> times. His family are described as 'hard working' etc. The Henderson
name is
> recorded at Ballyagan, Garvagh at least to the late 1700's. However,
as I
> said, the marriage records of Thomas and Matilda for Ballykelly seem
to be
> 'lost' in which case we could 'nail' his fathers name etc. There are
several
> Henderson families around the area, notably 'Hendersons of
Crosslands' as
> well.
>
> I just dont know how to get 'unstuck'! Not sure where Thomas is
buried. Many
> of the family are buried at the 'Garvagh 1st Presbyterian'. I will
look into
> that, as this is the family church.
>
> SNIP
>

> --

Please note that I am not able to open my messages on a daily basis.
Anything that is urgent in office hours please phone 685642, or out of
hours - 617105 / 492448

BILL HENDERSON, MHK, MEMBER OF THE HOUSE OF KEYS, THE POPULARLY
ELECTED BRANCH OF TYNWALD, THE PARLIAMENT OF THE ISLE OF MAN,THE
OLDEST CONTINUOUS PARLIAMENT IN THE WORLD. THE ISLE OF MAN IS AN
INDEPENDENT NATION,WITH OUR OWN LAWS, TAXES AND POLICE FORCE.