Re: [Bann Valley] Hearth Money Roll

Re HMR

Your family may not have been substantial in say the early 1900s, but you should still check; they might have been more prosperous 300 years earlier. Plenty of time to lose status! And I'm not sure that I would write off the HMR as only the prosperous; to cook you had to have a hearth; the poll tax was intended to be a head count, hence the name; hearthmoney was also intended to catch everybody. The collectors may have missed some, but they woud have got in trouble if they missed potential taxpayers. I have the HMR details of all N. Derry parishes; who and where are you interested?
Linde