[Bann Valley] Re: Cooney Family

Thanks Margaret; will take some time to digest all that!

Regard, John Cooney

Dear Mr. Cooney,
  The Townland of Vow is in the Parish of Finvoy and
Electoral Division is "The Vow"  It has been a while, but wasn't it
the Torrens website that had wonderful maps with colored dots to represent
early churches according to RC, Presby and CofI?  That would have been
when the site was something like 4QD ~ before the change.  They were
absolutely the best information. Maybe someone can pin point those maps?

 My knowledge is limited, but Kilrea and Drumreagh are locations near
"The Vow" and have early Catholic and Presbyterian Churches. You might
have good results under those townnames. I think Kilrea is actually in
Derry. Kirkinriola and Rasharkin might have clues.
 Other help might be
Google Search:
Co. Antrim, Finvoy "The Vow" 1800  The first 4-5 cites look helpful.
Co. Antrim, Finvoy "The Vow "Catholic Curch" 1800  Three cites

1.  The Ballymoney Ancestry.com has historical maps and various lists
which may help you.
A Google search, using the key words "The vow", Catholic church, Antrim
brought up what appeared to be theology
2.  Search using Finvoy "Catholic churches"1800 brought up a title called
Church of Ireland Parishes. That cite is
    www.rootwebancestry.com/~fianna/county/coirecs.htm.
There is a lot of information, but did not see the answer you are seeking.
3. http://family.kiwicelts.com has a contents page that listed
County Antrim Roman Catholic Parishes. Letters are too small for me to read,
but knowing that The Vow was s short area next to the Bann River. The Bann may
the boundary between Derry and Antrim.
  QUESTION: Is it possible that records of Catholic Churchs in Cumberland
would have information about a new transfer into its parishes?  My idea is
that churches kept such information as note on church records.
  COMMENT:  If I remember correctly the industrial revolution started in
early 1800s. Lanarkshire had coal mines and railways would have been needed.
Railways need constant repair. Ayrshire seemed to be a hub. Was Glasgow part
of the shipping network? Laborers would have followed work.

I wish I could have given you an exact answer. Don't forget to scan down pages
at these cites. You never can tell what will help.

  Best regards,
  Margaret

Morrison,
Thanks for your reply. This might be the crucial piece of information; we shall see! I have a correction to make: Bridget Harrington was born around 1819 and was 10-12 younger than Lawrence. This opens the possibility, to me, that there might have been earlier children and/or spouses deceased, considering the dates. I read that the potato famine was between 1845-1850; I wonder wether it was devastating in all counties?

Cheers, John

John,
I cannot help directly with your ancestors but I have found an Edward Maurice Cooney who married Mary McAloney in Garvagh Roman Catholic Church on
14 Jan 1868. Garvagh is in the civil parish of Errigal in the District of
Coleraine in Co Londonderry. The village of Vow in slightly to the North of
Garvagh and on the other side of the River Bann. It is in the parish of
Finvoy in the district of Ballymoney. I am sure someone from the Bann Valley
Group will supply more information, they were very helpful with a query
which I had.

Regards
Morrison Stewart

How do you do! Greetings from Australia.

I recently discovered from a marriage certificate that my Great Grandfather,
John Cooney, was born at Vow in 1853. His parents were Lawrence Cooney
b.1806 and Bridget Harrington b.1807. The family later migrated to England, and appear in the 1861 Census at Netherby, Cumberland, where Lawrence was a railway labourer. Since there are no records of Irish emigration to England,
this is the only clue I have as to where the family came from. They might
have been itinerant workers for some landowner in the area, or have some
longer attachment to the place, or just passing through; I don't know. Any
clues would be appreciated; I would particularly like to know which
'Catholic' parish Vow would have been in, and where John might have been
baptized, and where any record might be kept.

Cheers, John