Re: [Bann Valley] Carsonites: a place? a group?

ALISON
Here is my opinion, although I have not heard of "Carsonites" before.
Alexander Carson was ordained as a Presbyterian minister in Tobermore on 11 December 1798, but he resigned in July 1805. He later organised an independent Church which later became a Baptist congregation. There was a controversy in Tobermore then about who owned the Presbyterian Meeting-house. This entailed a long and expensive lawsuit before the Presbyterian Synod established their right to it. I can only conclude that "Carsonites" were followers of Alexander Carson who broke with the Presbyterian Church. I would guess that Tobermore is about 15 miles from Kilrea. The Presbyterian historian, Prof WD Killen, describes Carson as "a minister of great ability and a distinguished controversial writer; but not withstanding his new views made little progress in the countryside." The Baptist Church today in Tobermore is known as The Carson Memorial Baptist Church. I look forward to someone else confirming or correcting this definition of "Carsonsite".
I hope this helps.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Revd Dr J Isaac Thompson
Loy Hill Manse
73 James Street
Cookstown
BT80 8AE
NIreland

Tel/Fax: + 44 ( 0)28 8676 3296
Mob:    + 44 (0)78 0298 4242
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IMPORTANT NOTICE:
This e-mail, and any attachment, is confidential.
If you are not the intended recipient, you may
not disclose or use the information in this e-mail
in any way.
If you have received this e-mail in error,
kindly notify the sender
and delete it from your system.
The sender does not guarantee the integrity
of this e-mail or any attached files.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Alison Kilpatrick" <akilpatrick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>