[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Bann Valley] Newbie and questioning Kilrea grave date
- To: Stephen of Kilrea <step4joy2000-graham@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, BannValley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [Bann Valley] Newbie and questioning Kilrea grave date
- From: denver boyd <denverboyd@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 12:58:31 +0000 (GMT)
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoo.co.uk; s=s1024; t=1321707512; bh=uJ6Z1JqE7+IvklhTUE9bzeYrAjarRIehIAm5NVSoiYw=; h=X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Message-ID:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=Js8cO1EO4oXyO9LFfp4sAcVgODcR43TpN0WqBZ7gon0U6GqpvBL7FDszhRoewTpW8ph0NUJLtDG5dYC3q+fXIY4ywK9CXHc0gZx+IZ+U5IoZkjAxJhuBUAPwY30YePQOUzi2SsmV123CTLQAUmbEcBNDiVkRgpRNDU6JISGNcdY=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=s1024; d=yahoo.co.uk; h=X-YMail-OSG:Received:X-Mailer:Message-ID:Date:From:Subject:To:In-Reply-To:MIME-Version:Content-Type:Content-Transfer-Encoding; b=VeeVYR74SnP9mEZRYXvKvQWFQvpX+okmacZLWeeBnaDMWSFhMSqrMegsKiUguMrYQwqBYUqyr8EE6kxVgb9KUDZTw1tR1OXR3RArZ2bEoVNIgZljVk2kJuMVCxvGVrY5fPFmTbpwnKOpq5hLtNJWwVO0M8qQ6CBmy0TCc0p8Bug=;
- Envelope-to: bannvalley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- In-reply-to: <1321532033.71295.YahooMailNeo@web45015.mail.sp1.yahoo.com>
- List-id: Bann Valley families genealogy mailing list
- Reply-to: BannValley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The information was sourced from one of the photographs I've taken of First Kilrea Presbyterian graveyard. One of the projects I am undertaking for the Magheragenealogy site is to completely retranscribe the graveyards in the MG area. This involves visiting them (naturally; sometimes 2 or more times to try to catch the graves at different times of day and in different weather conditions to aid transcription), photograping each and every stone (even if the stone is beyond transcription) and some stones multiple times because of wear or legibility issues to ensure as accurate a transcription as possible; then taking each photograph, examining it for all information, and where possible, to present it as it was recorded on the gravestone. Some stones take many months to transcribe because, quite frankly, they are almost worn away by the elements. However luckily enough for us, most can be transcribed quite quickly! :)
Currently, my transcription of the following graveyards have been completed:
Boveedy Presbyterian, Drimbolg Reformed Presbyterian*, Dunboe Old Graveyard, Garvagh Second Presbyterian (photographed by myself and transcribed by Barbara Brasswell), Maghera Presbyterian*, St. Lurach's Church of Ireland (Maghera)*, St. Nossonus (AKA Tamlaght O'Crilly Lower*, Tobermore Presbyterian Old Graveyard*.
All are available on the MG site (the ones with the * are also currently on BV).
This is an ongoing project, and currently I am retranscribing Kilrea First Presbyterian and Kilrea Church of Ireland (which is why I have the photograph of 'your' grave, Stephen!)
--- On Thu, 17/11/11, Stephen of Kilrea <step4joy2000-graham@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> From: Stephen of Kilrea <step4joy2000-graham@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: Re: [Bann Valley] Newbie and questioning Kilrea grave date
> To: "BannValley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <BannValley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Thursday, 17 November, 2011, 12:13
> Thank you Denver for this
> Erected by JAMES J GRAHAM in loving memory of his mother
> MARY GRAHAM died 23rd Feby 1902.
> His father JAMES GRAHAM
> Died 12th March 1902.
> And his brother THOMAS,
> Died 12th Oct. 1896.
> Also his wife ANNIE GRAHAM died 28th Sept. 1938.
> Also the above mentioned JAMES J. GRAHAM
> Died 29th May 1954.
> By the way, can you please tell me how was this
> information sourced?
> >The original transcrition was a wonderful work, ...
> I agree!! I have some knowledge of the effort it
> takes. Two years ago Mum, I and a
> friend travelled to the Maryborough Qld Aust. cemetery
> where we spent a day photographing headstones and
> audio/video recording details of only part of the
> cemetery. I still have a long way to go on typing up the
> transcriptions of that day. I regularly visit cemeteries
> in the Brisbane area to photograph and/or check details at
> particular grave sites.
> And it is such a blessing to have wonderful people go to
> the effort of transcribing graves in a cemetery on the off
> chance that someone on the other side of the globe may just
> be trying to find the whereabouts of his ancestors.
> A little about my research in Kilrea so far
> For my part I believe that MARY GRAHAM (died 23rd Feby
> 1902) and her husband JAMES GRAHAM (died 12th March 1902)
> are my Great great grandparents through their daughter
> Eliza. My research indicates that sisters Eliza GRAHAM
> (23) and Mary GRAHAM (20) arrived in Rockhampton Qld
> Australia on 27 Oct 1881 on the Ship Almora. Henry Hoelsken
> and Eliza Graham married on 9 Apr 1883 at Presbyterian
> Manse, Bolsover St., Rockhampton. They had 5 children.
> Eliza at age 80, Died 19 Dec 1940, and was buried 20 Dec
> 1940, at the North Rockhampton Cemetery in the Presbyterian
> area, Section 14, Row 3, Grave 39 ( haven't yet seen the
> grave). Mary Graham (aged 25) and William Gillespie married
> 10 Oct 1887 at the Primitive Methodist Parsonage, Emerald,
> Queenland, Australia. They also had 5 children. Mary
> Ann Gillespie Dau of James Graham and Mary Woods died 23 Jun
> 1932 and was buried the next day at South Brisbane Cemetery,
> 181 Annerley Rd, Dutton Park,
> Queensland, Australia Portion 4C Grave 13 (no headstone
> on my visit in 2011)
> Although Mary Ann Graham's marriage cerificate says she was
> born at Kilrea, Londonderry, Ireland of James Graham and
> Mary Woods c. 1862 I haven't been able to find any
> birth/baptism record/date for her.
> Trim your reply and do not quote irrelevant parts of
> previous message.
> You may post to the list via: http://www.Torrens.org.uk/Contact/FormBV.html
> To unsubscribe send a mail to BannValley+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> List rules and FAQs: http://www.torrens.org.uk/Lists/3_rules.html
Trim your reply and do not quote irrelevant parts of previous message.
You may post to the list via: http://www.Torrens.org.uk/Contact/FormBV.html
To unsubscribe send a mail to BannValley+unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
List rules and FAQs: http://www.torrens.org.uk/Lists/3_rules.html