[Bann Valley] William Kennedy, of Grange/Ballymena

Hi folks,

I do have an update since my last email, I was able to have a descended of Samuel Kennedy of Desertoghill Parish/Moneydig tested, and received the Y-111 STR results yesterday (FTDNA # 632870). The distance is 7, my second closest match. With distance 7, I think it is extremely unlikely, though perhaps not impossible, that my distant autosomal match shared with my close Kennedy cousin to a remote "cousin" descended from these Kennedys is actually, in fact, through the Kennedy line, and skepticism was warranted. More likely, the male line MRCA between Samuel and William is still a few hundred years back. But, happily, the match is still close enough to be of interest for discovering and potentially dating new terminal SNPs to fill out the R-A1774 branch.

But on to the quest to break down my brick wall. My aunt did tell me that her late husband was convinced in his discovery of the link of William Kennedy back to Grange Corner in Antrim and Grange Baptist Church, though I still have no documentation. I have learned more about this church and obtained a book, "Grange Baptist Church, County Antrim, A Bicentenary History, 1811-2011", by Norman S Wilson.

Sadly, so far this book has not been encouraging. In all the stories of this church's 19th century history, many ministers, revivals, and so on, there is barely a single name of a congregant; indeed, this early account comes from secondary histories and sources; even the full names (or in a few cases, names at all) of influential early ministers are lacking, and their identities and origins are in many cases speculative or unknown altogether. At the root of the problem is a total lack of contemporary church records, the earliest church minute-book being from 1895. In the subsequent chapters, I have not found evidence of the name Kennedy anywhere, including later membership lists.

So, I was hoping to learn more and possibly contact someone from the church, and while I expect I will at some point, I doubt anyone there has either knowledge or access to records relating to my "William Kennedy" associated with the church who sailed to America in the mid-19th century; even if I found a dozen fourth cousins, it might as well have been in the age of St. Patrick. Short of stumbling across another close family member with meticulous family history records, I'm not sure where to find a trail. Maybe there's a small chance PRONI would have something.

Nathan