[Bann Valley] Re: Downing family

In article <emb20ee654-5594-40df-b45f-58938afaaeb2@robert-dell>,
   Robert Stedall <robert@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I am one of a group of researchers trying the establish the extent and
> antecedents of the Downing family who signed leases on the Vintners'
> Propertion at Bellaghy in 1569.They are probably descended from George
> Downing who held leases at Ballykelly from about 1618, but moved to
> Bellaghy in 1569. We have a Victorian record of uncertain authenticity
> that he had a son George, probably of Rocktown, who was the Comptroller
> of Customs for Co. Londonderry. He seems to have had a brother Nicholas
> of Drumard, whose will was proved in 1698, and there was another brother
> William. It would seem that George Jr. married Jane Montgomery, the
> daughter of Hugh Montgomery of Gransheogh, who held estates at Maghera.
> They had at least five sons of whom the best known was Captain Adam
> Downing (later Lt. Colonel) who fought at the siege of Londonderry and
> married Anne Jackson of the Coleraine Jackson family. There were also
> John, George ,Samuel and Bernard. We have identified a considerable
> number of Downing names in the vicinity of Bellaghy, but apart from
> Adam's and Samuel's descendants, we have not been able to link them into
> the family. The problem is made more complicated, because several Gaelic
> families adopted the name Downing when they anglicised their names, but
> it is likely that several of the later Downing names were kinsmen of
> Adam. For example there are families with the given name Stratford and
> Hertford, and we are aware that an Anglo-Irish family with the the
> surname, Stratford, also lived locally. There is also a grouping at
> Dreenan, who may be of Gaelic origin.

> We are at present grasping at every possible straw, and I can provide
> such information as we have unearthed (and its source) to anyone who is
> interested. I would prefer to focus on records or leads that date back
> prior to about 1800.

Hullo

I assume you have searched the site for Downing - and any conceivable
spelling/pronunciation variation?
http://genealogy.torrens.org/search.html

A number of Downings turn up.

But there seems to be an almost impenetrable wall to Bann Valley genealogy
around 1800 - very few families seem to have got bach further.

Good luck

--
             Richard Torrens  - Genealogy@xxxxxxxxxxx
        Genealogy site: http://Genealogy.Torrens.org/

--=20
Trim your reply and do not quote irrelevant parts of previous message.

You may post to the list or send attachments
   via: http://genealogy.Torrens.org/contact/FormBV.html