Re: [Torrens List] Torrens in Revolutionary War ??

Linde, I have discoverred that Samuel Torrence of Woodbury was a Captain of a Millitia, and as you say there is no shortage of information on his Descendants online. He along with his Brother Thomas Torrence of Middlebury both took part in the Revolution. But you are correct that a lot of people have them linked to this Sgt Hugh lineage, Ive seen people having Thomas and Samuel born at Coolneman, son of either Aaron, Albert or Sgt Hugh Torrence. I too have doubts about the Sgt Hugh and even more about Albert which isnt really as Scottish name, Aaron would have been more likely but again it was used anywhere in our Torrens Famillies.

Maybe being away from the Torrens Genealogy this past few years will give me a clear mind now to get back to it again, only problem is that ones memory can be a little rusty lol !!

Derek.

Lunney Family wrote:

Judy, good to see your name on an email again; look forward to further contact!

There is a book on Google books which lists gravesites of 'Revolutionary patriots'; by Patricia Law Hatcher

Torrance Samuel Sample Hill cemetery Randolph, Cattarugas Co. NY
Torrence Andrew Millegdevill GA
Torrence George Coddle Creek Cem, Mooresville Iredell Co. NC
Torrence, Hugh Center Pres Ch Cem Iredell Co NC
Torrence James Lebanon Cem Miflin Twp Allegheny Co, PA
Torrence John Woodland cem Xenia OH
Torrence Samuel Woodbury CT
Torrence Thomas Sibleyville Ce Rush Monroe Co. NY
Torrens.....Center Pres Ch Cem Iredell Co NC

of course they may have emigrated from Ireland, lived awhile in Pennsylvania, fought in the Revolutionary war lived another 30 years and moved to Georgia or wherever and been buried there, far from where they signed up, and therefore might be in this grave list as well as in a muster roll for another state. The NC ones seem to be from the Foyle and Roe sides, rather than the Bann valley

Samuel Torrance of Woodbury seems to be a co. Derry product; in the Torrance and Allied Families book he is clearly stated to have been in the Revolutionary war; however, that book links him into the sergeant Hugh line, and that I have doubts about.

Lots of info online about his descendants