[Torrens List] Torrens of Limerick city

I've been in the Registry of Deeds in Dublin and found a deed relating to these Torrenses; I see Derek found some of thes Limerick Torrenses before. I couldn't make out what exactly ws happening but it seemed that trustees of the wife's marriage settlement were involved in some way after John Torrence became bankrupt.

Nov 1811 John Torrence Limerick and Susanna otherwise Unthank his wife to John Orr city of Dublin merchant; document recites a lease of October 1795; lease to Alexander Torrens of a stone quarry and dock and a plot of ground on the Shannon in Limerick; marriage of John and Susanna in 1800; Alexander is now dead. John became bankrupt; his ownership of Shannon dock seems to be transferred in some way to John Orr.

Unthanks were a notable family in Limerick in the 18th and 19th c. What I wonder is if there is a connection between this transaction and the Orrs of Aghadowey. James Torrens of Gortin leased a bleachgreen from the Orrs; the name Alexander Torrens is a familiar combination in co. Londonderry??

The story gets even more interesting and unfortunate, when I did a Google search this evening.

http://books.google.com/books?id=0nQEAAAAQAAJ&pg=RA1-PA4&dq=torrence +limerick&hl=en&ei=M_sETpjPM9KwhQeAssDRDQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result& resnum=2&ved=0CC4Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=torrence%20limerick&f=false

Poor Susanna Torrens was murdered in 1821, apparently by agrarian protestors, though that is not overtly stated; perhaps her husband John had taken a position as a constable or something? Their house had been atacked earlier by a mob but Torrens did not give up his weapons to them.

The account says that Torrance was a native of another county, unspecified.

Linde L

--
Trim your reply and do not quote irrelevant parts of previous message.

You may post to the list via: http://www.Torrens.org.uk/Contact/FormTorr.html