Re: [Torrens List] Torrens Genealogy Facebook Page.

Hello all,

I am interested in a Torrens family from the Roe valley. The ancestral
graveyard was at the Presbyterian church at Ballykelly. The last known
member of the family was William Torrens, farmer of Carryclare
(Carrowclare),  who left the bulk of his estate (or at least intended to)
to a nephew, Robert Martin Torrens, when he died in 1883.

Robert Torrens and Ann Martin had three other known children besides
William. Three emigrated to the United States. Eliza had married John Kerr
in Co. Londonderry and settled in Barry, Pike County, Illinois by 1850. Her
unmarried siblings arrived shortly thereafter; brother John's son was to
inherit his uncle's farm. John returned to Ireland for six months to help
settle his brother's estate. I suspect the farm was sold at that time.

There may have been a brother James who stayed in the area, but he was not
mentioned in the will. An unnamed deceased aunt (Torrens or Martin?) had
been living on the farm.

I would be interested in suggestions of resources I could use to find out
more about this family. I am a descendant of John Kerr's brother William
and his wife Elizabeth Irvine, but have been working with a descendant of
John Kerr and Eliza Torrens. Several members of both lines have taken
autosomal DNA tests.

I will check out the Torrens FaceBook page, which I note is a "public"
page. I have found closed Facebook groups very helpful for genealogy.

Julie Mulroy