[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Torrens List] Re: Torrens Genealogy Facebook Page.
- To: "TorrensList@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <TorrensList@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
- Subject: Re: [Torrens List] Re: Torrens Genealogy Facebook Page.
- From: Anne Reid <annereid220@xxxxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2016 15:22:56 +0000
- Accept-language: en-GB, en-US
- Authentication-results: spf=softfail (sender IP is 10.152.0.51) smtp.mailfrom=hotmail.com; Torrens.org.uk; dkim=none (message not signed) header.d=none;Torrens.org.uk; dmarc=fail action=none header.from=hotmail.com;
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=hotmail.com; s=selector1; h=From:Date:Subject:Message-ID:Content-Type:MIME-Version; bh=irnBHNHCnzQmeoT4LOFomS3yvTIrP3EGZiS7Bzldm/s=; b=AKNmycDnvM1T9FtrITcYzxm1jhLXN+XPKIBCGgNptUckVCJHwrI06jcX012ojQuLs/7gnS2mtQkVtv+ilTNLCiQ+fT8o5MtBFNXQXBjCqQZpmJpovqC0eHtMgyKdbVq94nprc4QGHrw+I5vs/GQ+6Z2tga7YchAc8FIOD+JELBIBynlN19vhRuVvqZOR6WtfPnq72GfXYTBvGIx90C+V3z5ySx4Vfc0988yB096PM0lhysQjqz8s3bl1+uc+d2Ln3Ntcq6WrjWpehv9hdhRz/F8hYBQo1xuURsgEEprX8/1C3ofR2cBtBaVfzZJ+94RV+iMcy8DdjJv+RfXHkWEQjg==
- Envelope-to: TorrensList@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- In-reply-to: <55ba4aa84aListmaster@Torrens.org.uk>
- List-id: Torrens families genealogy mailing list
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>,<55ba4aa84aListmaster@Torrens.org.uk>
- Reply-to: TorrensList@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Spamdiagnosticmetadata: NSPM
- Spamdiagnosticoutput: 1:99
- Thread-index: AQHSBqE33Fh9e3di/E6wySuwT1OdHaBrA4Wo
- Thread-topic: [Torrens List] Re: Torrens Genealogy Facebook Page.
I believe I have posted once before, but no one seemed to be linked to my branch, I haven't contributed again, but am interested to read posts that others submit.
My mother was a Torrens from a branch of the family who settled on Co Armagh, near Markethill. The furthest back I have got is a Michael Torrens ( the only Michael in the family, Roberts, Johns, Davids, Andrews, Alexanders, James etc being common male names). Michael was born about 1783. I have found Michael in the Gosford account books and Coolmallish lease book at the Public Record Office N. Ireland, but Michael and some of his family left for Wigton in Scotland about 1837 and after some time there they emigrated to Canada in 1845. I am descended from the branch of the family that stayed in Markethill. Michael's son Robert became a distinguished clergyman near Toronto. I mention him because he is included in Biographical Sketches of Early Settlers of Wellington County.( Information from: Historical Atlas of the County of Wellington, Ontario.
Toronto: Historical Atlas Publishing Co., 1906 . The full article is available online at http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~onwellin/pioneers/torrance_family.htm)
In that article it is said that my Torrens family "left Ayrshire, Scot., at the time of the persecution of the Covenantors",
So I am interested in finding out when the Torrens came to Armagh. I have found some earlier Torrens on the same part of County Armagh in the 1790s, but I don't know how or if they are related to me. Did they perhaps come via the Bann valley? Which part of Ayrshire did they come from? I realise that I may never find the answers to these questions, but if anyone can give me any pointers, I would be very grateful.
Thanks for running the Torrens List, Richard